Thread: Wilbur - Height Mapping and Map Pixilation

Help Wilbur - Height Mapping and Map Pixilation

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions I'm looking to get some help with. In no particular order:

1. How do I go about setting maximum height for an imported map in Wilbur? I have a greyscale height map that that increases in increments of 3000 feet. I assume by setting the height of the highest peak, Wilbur is able to infer everything else between that maximum and sea level.

2. I've been trying to follow waldronate's instructions here , however I'm a little confused on step D:
    Filter>>Noise>>Wilbur Add Noise with amplitude decreasing at every step: start at around 10% of the total altitude and decrease by half at each step (e.g. 1000 altitude would get 100 at the first step, 50 at the second, and so on).
    Am I supposed to have all land selected and then run the noise (100% > 50% > 25% > 12% > etc.?) or am I supposed to select the highest altitude increment (run noise at 100%), then the next highest (noise at 50%), and so on until reaching sea level? I suppose I need clarification specifically on:
    start at around 10% of the total altitude and decrease by half at each step
    Additionally, does Wilbur allow you to make a selection based upon height? E.g. can I select everything specifically within 5,000 - 6,000 ft.?

3. Finally, the map (attached below) I'm working with is part of a larger, global map. Because it was cut directly from that parent map the smaller one is looking pretty blocky/pixilated. I'd like to have something more organic looking however I'm not sure what the best way of doing that would be. Should I first try to blur the edges in GIMP or will erosion and noise through Wilbur eventually wear it down? In either case, what would be the best way of doing that?

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Central_Island_Wilbur_Input.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	134508  

1) You can use Filter>>Mathematical>>Scale with a single value to get the altitude you want. For example, if the input data is from 0 to 255 and you want it to go from 0 to 3000, scale by 11.76 (that is, by 3000/255). Another option would be to use Filter>>Mathematical>>Span and enter a low of 0 and a high of 3000; Wilbur will figure out the appropriate scaling and offset values to go from what's in the surface to what you requested.

2) Steps a through i in that tutorial are part of a loop. Pick the area that you want to affect and then start the loop, executing from a through j (j says "do a through i over again). The first time you perform step d as per the example, use 100; the second time you do step d, use 50; the third time you do step d, use 25. Keep chopping the value in half at each step. You're making a fractal altitude with these steps. Select>>From Terrain>>Height Range will select a range of heights from the terrain.

3) Wilbur will chop up that map nicely. Since you should be starting with a small (256 wide, maybe) image, so you don't even need to scale it up before you start. However, the stated process will pretty much keep your coastlines exactly as you specified them while generating the input.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaaa.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	134509

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    1) You can use Filter>>Mathematical>>Scale with a single value to get the altitude you want. For example, if the input data is from 0 to 255 and you want it to go from 0 to 3000, scale by 11.76 (that is, by 3000/255). Another option would be to use Filter>>Mathematical>>Span and enter a low of 0 and a high of 3000; Wilbur will figure out the appropriate scaling and offset values to go from what's in the surface to what you requested.

2) Steps a through i in that tutorial are part of a loop. Pick the area that you want to affect and then start the loop, executing from a through j (j says "do a through i over again). The first time you perform step d as per the example, use 100; the second time you do step d, use 50; the third time you do step d, use 25. Keep chopping the value in half at each step. You're making a fractal altitude with these steps. Select>>From Terrain>>Height Range will select a range of heights from the terrain.

3) Wilbur will chop up that map nicely. Since you should be starting with a small (256 wide, maybe) image, so you don't even need to scale it up before you start. However, the stated process will pretty much keep your coastlines exactly as you specified them while generating the input.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaaa.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	134509
    Thank you very much! That about covers it for now.