Thread: WIP: Fort Eelry

Wip WIP: Fort Eelry

I keep meaning to spend more time hanging out here, and then another year passes in a moment!
    So, in an attempt to kick my own rear end into gear..... This is a 1-post run through of my latest settlement map creation.

These days, all my maps start in Procreate, usually with a very rough sketch, just to get a feel for the layout, main locations and shape of the land. For this one, 2 locations (the fort and the church) are going to be based on existing battlemaps, so I ported them in to get the scale right:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3413.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	135971

Starting to add the ink, and, as usual, I can't resist starting to add a bit of colour before the inking stage is finished.
    I don't do a detailed sketch before inking as I find that it makes the final drawing too tidy.

Name:	IMG_3442.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	135972

Inking continues... I dicided to add a whole lot more rocky hillside in the NE and added a stained paper texture to start to find the mood of the finished map.

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	6.97 MB 
ID:	135973

Inking is finished...
    The trees were created in Photoshop using a splodgy brush I created and layer styles - Then exported back as a transparent .png layer into the main map file in Procreate so I could see what they will look like.
    Also picked a light direction and added some rough landscape shading. Usually I have the light coming from the top-left, but with all the high ground to the right on this map, I thought it would help show the elevation better if it came from the top-right instead.

Name:	IMG_3492.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	8.51 MB 
ID:	135974

To be continued ....

Ok... the next bit :-)

The next stage was going over all those rocks and adding down-hill shading to make them lift up out of the 'page'
    Also gave the roofs some ridge-line highlighting and the river a bit of life

Name:	IMG_3555.jpg 
Views:	1812 
Size:	793.9 KB 
ID:	135975

After that most of the rocks got a touch of highlighting to lift them up even more
    Then 'grass' was painted in around the rocks (under the rock shading layer). Lightly in most places. Greener near buildings and water.

Name:	IMG_3559.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	135976

The final stage in Procreate was to create a 'ripped paper' background and frame.
    I had to do this in a separate image file because I had used up all my available layers in the primary map file (due to the map being so huge!).

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	135977

To be continued......

Oh... also in Procreate.... I made separate map title and key 'paper overlays' in another procreate file, As well as a template for a locations 'Game card'

Name:	wip.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	135978

By then I had 4 =separate Procreate files.
    I ported them all over to my computer and started compiling all the different parts together and finishing the map off in Photoshop.

I do all the final text in Photoshop as well as colour grading using the Camera Raw filter to get the final colour tone and feel right. I tend to lean more towards the warm & bright end of the scale :-)
    The red textural background was also done in Photoshop, using splatter brushes and a couple of photos of concrete textures from my photo archives.

In the end... the final poster version looked likes this:

Name:	MJ_Fort Eelry_Free Map (2500x3500px).jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	135979

And these are all the variations and bit's and bobs I did to go with it - including a few of the location 'game cards' - which are a new idea I am playing with. They can be illustrations in game play notes or could be used as player items to show found 'quick port' locations

Name:	Fort Elrey pack preview.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	135980

In all, it took about 55 hours & I am pretty pleased with how it has turned out :-)