Thread: Wilbur Basin Fill Glitch?

Default Wilbur Basin Fill Glitch?

Never had this problem with Wilbur before...

Doing a basin Fill on an .mdr file and the end result shows the land as being flat and map info says the elevation is in the millions of millions of meters range. Scrolling the mouse around on the land gives all sorts of different elevations. All of this is with nothing selected. Conversely, if I have an elevation range selected (say -300 to 10,000 meters) the basin Fill works just fine.

The .mdr file is a portion of an FTPro file in a miller cylindrical projection saved as Wilbur MDR Files (I stead of Special since I wanted to maintain the projection shapes) at 4097 by 3103 pixels.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Just some screen shots for reference...

Before any basin Fill is done
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before Basin Fill.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	812.2 KB 
ID:	134555

After a basin Fill is done with nothing selected

Name:	After Basin Fill with No Selection.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	134556

And after a basin Fill is done with a height range of -300 and above selected

Name:	After Basin Fill with Selection.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	887.3 KB 
ID:	134557
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

FT maps have a tendency to have a column of bad pixels along the world seam (right-hand edge of the map in this case), which will cause all manner of havoc with basin fills. The bug should be fixed in the FT3+ beta (and, I hope, a final release at some point).

After loading the MDR into Wilbur, use Filter>>Other>>Kill Outliers to get rid the bad values to get rid of the NaN and other values. Killing outliers will get rid of bad numeric values, but the numbers may not be what you want. Looking at the histogram should show where your data really is and where the garbage is. Filter>>Height Clip to the good data range will help to get things to reasonable ranges. Filer>>Morphological>>Median may help if the noise is just isolated spikes, but it will change the shapes a tiny bit.

If you don't have the median and kill outliers feature, you're not running the current Wilbur version.

Ah, that makes sense. It just seemed odd because I had never encountered this problem before. Thank you kind sir.
    GW