Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Eternal Isles, by Ifrix

7 100.00%
  • The Littlest Prison, by waldronate

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October 2022 Challenge: Map an Underworld - Voting

It's too late at this point, perhaps next month? Or an extended one for a month and a half. The biggest problem is the low participation rate I think, the newbies don't seem to want to, and the oldies are too busy.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

There hasn't been much interest for the last four or more months, so tbh we mods weren't motivated to really do one this month. Maybe December.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really wish I had more time...

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    It's too late at this point, perhaps next month? Or an extended one for a month and a half. The biggest problem is the low participation rate I think, the newbies don't seem to want to, and the oldies are too busy.
    I would make it start half month and end by end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Exactly that. And after that make all gold challenges 2 months because "I don't have time to finish this map in a month" is the primary motivation for not participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Newbies don't participate because most younger map-makers don't understand how to participate on a forum, because it doesn't think for them. They're used to things like Facebook which promote content it thinks they'll like rather than simply being a book of content. They might if you added a 'challenge' section to the Discord and cross-posted on the social medias rather than relying on people to think to check the right part of the forum. Although it looks like no one's updated the Twitter in almost a year, mirroring the contest content to the Discord to allow entries there too that get posted onto the forum at the end of the month for people who don't participate there, then posting the vote thread on Discord to call people to action to come vote, might bring in some of that younger crowd who feels more comfortable with Discord. There's an entirely different community there, basically.

I'm sure more newbies would want to if they knew about it and were repeatedly reminded of it, it's too much to expect young people to actually hold onto a recurrent event in their minds with the way their most popular websites function.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

It doesn't help that a fair number of us are in the midst of a run of holidays. That seems to slow participation a bit every year. If we did 6 week challenges for the gold, that might help. Would still be 8 challenges every year. But as Tiana said, a little cross "advertising" would probably help as well.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    We did a month and a half one in August/September. We only had five entries, and four of them weren't even started until barely a week was left. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    ... and four of them weren't even started until barely a week was left.
    The Thanksgiving "Best that can be done in the time allotted" challenge. Requires one rectangle, two circles, and a body of water be visible on the map. The map must carry the name "Meh" somewhere on it to reinforce the theme. No more than six hours total work time unless you're really into that sort of thing and can meet the deadline. Must be complete by midnight, November 26 2022, when the turkey wears off. Winner will be awarded a silver compass and TWO free Wilbur licenses! OK, maybe that last part isn't really an inducement to participate, but I can't figure out how to get a "voted best map given the constraints" and "voted silliest map overall" in the same poll. I also can't figure out how to work this challenge thing. And I should probably take it easy on the decongestants as I recover from this head cold.

A visual aid about expectations:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horse.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	134641
    I'd credit that image if I knew where it came from.
    Last edited by waldronate; 11-16-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

To throw my two cents into the pot.

I feel giving more than a month take away the urgency. I've seen many times that 3 month, even two month challenges draw less participants. I don't know if it is something with "I still got loads of time to join..." vibe and then they don't in the end. I FULLY understand CITY MAPS needing 2 months, that's a fact if one wants to do it properly. Though, some of the others that can be finished sooner, the multi month thing removes some of the urgency.

Just saying...

THAT said, I'm super down for a Two Month City map challenge. Hehe I'll ten to one even drop in on the same day that challenge pops up.
    Last edited by XCali; 11-17-2022 at 01:47 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    To throw my two cents into the pot.

I feel giving more than a month take away the urgency. I've seen many times that 3 month, even two month challenges draw less participants. I don't know if it is something with "I still got loads of time to join..." vibe and then they don't in the end. I FULLY understand CITY MAPS needing 2 months, that's a fact if one wants to do it properly. Though, some of the others that can be finished sooner, the multi month thing removes some of the urgency.

Just saying...

THAT said, I'm super down for a Two Month City map challenge. Hehe I'll ten to one even drop in on the same day that challenge pops up.
    Lets make a city map then ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast