Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Eternal Isles, by Ifrix

7 100.00%
  • The Littlest Prison, by waldronate

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October 2022 Challenge: Map an Underworld - Voting

If it was made into two month challenges that would theoretically cut the work load for the mods in half, and given the participation numbers already being low I think would not have particularly negative effect. In addition it could give the gold compass maps a little more room to be more finished projects than silver. Have the first on run from December 1 to January 30 or whatever and it'll bridge the holidays.

Or we could open a one to three day challenge at the end of the month, tell people about it (cross-platform as Tiana suggested **), and see what happens. Great for people who have short attention spans, love spontaneity, enjoy a quick turnaround, want to challenge themselves to see how much they can fit into a short timeframe, don't have the energy for a long project but still want to participate for fun, aren't sure about entering a big/long challenge that'll more likely have top notch artworks (ie. the shorter timeframe lowers the expectations of what skill/detail level the entries should be), ........ you get the idea.

** add thought: on Discord you can set up a Role and there's a thinger that allows people to self-apply it to themselves by clicking an emoji. use case: you wanna get a notification when the next map challenge opens on the Guild? > click the thingy. *kazoo sounds* Then whenever someone posts an announcement for it in the Discord they can @ the role and just those people who sign up for it will be pinged. just a thought. anyhoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post

** add thought: on Discord you can set up a Role and there's a thinger that allows people to self-apply it to themselves by clicking an emoji. use case: you wanna get a notification when the next map challenge opens on the Guild? > click the thingy. *kazoo sounds* Then whenever someone posts an announcement for it in the Discord they can @ the role and just those people who sign up for it will be pinged. just a thought. anyhoos.
    If there was a Challenge thread on the Guild Discord server, where the links to each challenge were posted, I think this would draw quite a few people.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like all of these suggestions. I think the mods (me included) are starting to get challenge burnout as well. It might be a good time to bring in some new community leaders, especially ones who are enthusiastic about running things. It's awesome to have you all contributing ideas and like I said, they're good ones, but we also need people to step up and do the things. Chashio's discord idea in particular is a good one, but I wouldn't be the one to set that up - I don't know really anything about discord except that it's a thing. I haven't even been on the Guild's discord in months.

Missed the voting. Congratulations to the winner.

Yeah, that's a good idea, there are more and more people joining the discord recently - especially with recent events. Fairly sure you can even set up a bot to auto-post new challenges and other news. Or if not have someone who's on the discord a bit (even if you just give a Discord specific CL role). I've run a couple of servers before so know a little of how that works.
    The twitter has also been inactive for a while (though given recent events that doesn't seem to be the biggest loss). Regarding other social media (that people are migrating to from twitter), Mastodon, Instagram and Tumblr seem the main ones I've seen if we wanted to do more regular announcements.

Another thought... Depends what part of the process is causing more burnout with challenges but maybe we could reformat the way we do challenges for a while. Perhaps just having a monthly challenge prompt without the whole challenge system setup... Just select a topic for the month from suggestions or whatever and let people start their own threads and tag it with a challenge year-month format so the entry wip threads are easily findable within the sub/forum. They could also post a link to their thread in the prompt thread. Then just have anyone who wants to make a final entry drop their final work into a single group thread before it ends and a mod can lock that one thread instead of many and all the entries can be viewed there instead of a gallery with the thumbnail scraper system that sometimes gets confusing and needs more mod attention. Idk if that would be easier or not, but it's an idea.

I've been thinking about the state of the challenges and would also like to weigh in. I competed in many challenges last year but haven't had the time this year due to focusing on my map/asset business and having young children. I would love to be able to compete in challenges regularly but I don't see myself having time for the foreseeable future. I have been trying to be more active in the guild though and I'm still committed to doing this.

I think the mainstay of challenge competitors has always been the younger/newer members. I can't speak for everyone but thinking back to when I joined the guild, I heard about it through a WASD20 video and probably the major drawcard was getting to connect with some professional artists, viewing their work, and getting feedback on my work. I have noticed that many of the professional artists in the guild have become less active over the last year which may be part of the reason why fewer new people are coming in. I know I've focused on platforms like Instagram a lot this year as it drives customers to my paid products quite well but beyond that, I'm not a fan of the Instagram platform, there are issues with the algorithm and it's just not a great place to connect with individuals. I think a good way to get these people more engaged would be to focus on awards around the finished maps forum which is by far the most active part of the guild. We could do a monthly competition that works like the atlas awards, giving out awards for the best maps posted to finished maps. This would allow someone like me to be more involved in competitions as the work that I'm doing for my commercial projects would also be eligible for awards. It would also be good to see the atlas awards again, I was looking forward to them earlier this year but they never ran. Focusing on this might bring in more members and make the challenges viable again.

More promotion of the guild on other platforms could also be helpful. I'm glad that the discord seems to be doing well but, like Diamond, I've never really been able to get into the platform, I prefer the forums we have on the guild itself.

That's my 2 cents anyway, let me know what you think. Also @Diamond, if you need more community leaders I would be happy to be involved.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Whatever it is the decision but I think that if a new Challenge is wanted it needs to be started now and kept till end of December, so people will have time , or may be even till End of January ... I guess people willhave more tme during the holidays.
    May be cold be called Ed of Year Challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    We could do a monthly competition that works like the atlas awards, giving out awards for the best maps posted to finished maps. This would allow someone like me to be more involved in competitions as the work that I'm doing for my commercial projects would also be eligible for awards. It would also be good to see the atlas awards again, I was looking forward to them earlier this year but they never ran. Focusing on this might bring in more members and make the challenges viable again.
    That sort of thing takes a lot of work I think. I know the Atlas Awards do. In addition gathering the monthly maps posted in the finished maps forum would yield many many maps. There is at least 1 a day, generally more. I think the ideal solution would be one that a)lessens the mod workload, and b)generates specific interest rather than a passive interest (of gathering likes etc.).

What I like about the challenges is that everyone is sort of running a similar race, and also they give direction and themes, and also can offer a chance to try unfamiliar territory that they otherwise might not venture into.

-----------------------------------------------

The Discord is great but it's so transitory which is both it's strength and weakness. I'm sure there is a bot or something that can post the challenges over there but I wouldn't really know how to set that up. Instead I am willing to post them over there.
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-21-2022 at 05:43 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast