Thread: What is this great circle shown on the globe

Default What is this great circle shown on the globe

I would like to know the name of this great circle that cuts the equatorial circle at an obtuse angle, shown on the globe in the pictures below with a red line.
    Much appreciatedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2022-11-03_17-22-05.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	134574
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_2022-11-03_17-21-21.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	134575

Name:	photo_2022-11-03_17-21-16.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	134576

Name:	photo_2022-11-03_17-21-13.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	134577

Blog Entries

Not seen that before !

Something to do with Chinese Zodiac
    https://www.yourchineseastrology.com...olar-terms.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_term

But I am not aware of why the line is positioned where it is. But I am sure someone with more local knowledge will let us know.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-03-2022 at 12:30 PM.

I am inclined, based on some of the labels associated with that circle and how it appears to reach the 23rd latitude both north a d south from what I can see, that it might be nothing more than a representation of the sun's position at high noon based on axial tilt. I could be terribly wrong about that though.

In fact, I am almost certain that's what it is. It crosses the equator at both 0 and 180 degrees of longitude at hits that 23 degree latitude at the 90 degree longitude both east and west of the meridian.

Just like the one I've highlighted here

Name:	Heylyn 2 edit.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	134578

Though not with the same positioning I suspect.

Edit: In conclusion, I believe that would make it the celestial ecliptic. Again though, I might have the wrong terminology...
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 11-03-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

it is the ecliptic all right
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Yup, just shows the suns relative latitude position as it passes through the year.

Default many thanks

Thanks for all the feedback, Much appreciated.

Yes it appears to be the ecliptic.

Default Many thanks

Yes it appears to reference the ecliptic, much appreciated.

Redrobes
    Not seen that before !

Something to do with Chinese Zodiac
    https://www.yourchineseastrology.com...olar-terms.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_term

But I am not aware of why the line is positioned where it is. But I am sure someone with more local knowledge will let us know.
    Your link to the Chinese Zodiac correlates with the inscriptions along the line. and the globe I see was made in China so that is very likely the reason

Yeah, it's the projection of the ecliptic onto the surface of a terrestrial globe. Some globemakers draw it. In my opinion, it's a really useless addition. If you have a celestial globe (star map globe), the ecliptic is crucial to show but in a terrestrial globe it's useless and confusing, because the there's no one correct way to put it. There's no function in the exact position of the line or the areas it passes through. What I mean, is that the northernmost point in the ecliptic is now shown in 90E in Bangladesh, but the point could be anywhere in the tropic of Cancer. The ecliptic goes from one tropic to another, but there's no "place" on earth where it goes, as it's a feature of the celestial globe. When the sun is over the tropic of Cancer, in the northern summer solstice, the situation is the same for every point in the tropic of Cancer. The reason for putting it this way is that in the celestial coordinates, the northernmost point of the ecliptic is in the equivalent position of 90E. But, the celestial longitudes have no corresponding on any specific longitude on earth, as the sky goes around the earth all the time. (Hope you could get the point from this).
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Meton View Post
    Yeah, it's the projection of the ecliptic onto the surface of a terrestrial globe. Some globemakers draw it. In my opinion, it's a really useless addition. If you have a celestial globe (star map globe), the ecliptic is crucial to show but in a terrestrial globe it's useless and confusing, because the there's no one correct way to put it. There's no function in the exact position of the line or the areas it passes through. What I mean, is that the northernmost point in the ecliptic is now shown in 90E in Bangladesh, but the point could be anywhere in the tropic of Cancer. The ecliptic goes from one tropic to another, but there's no "place" on earth where it goes, as it's a feature of the celestial globe. When the sun is over the tropic of Cancer, in the northern summer solstice, the situation is the same for every point in the tropic of Cancer. The reason for putting it this way is that in the celestial coordinates, the northernmost point of the ecliptic is in the equivalent position of 90E. But, the celestial longitudes have no corresponding on any specific longitude on earth, as the sky goes around the earth all the time. (Hope you could get the point from this).
    I hear you, but I still think it's relevant to put it on a globe. After all, I learned about the ecliptic, and the path of the sun relative to the earth, precisely because there was one on the globe I've had since I was a kid! A terrestrial globe is a great learning tool, not just a practical one.