Thread: Greetings from an enthusiast looking to get better

Default Greetings from an enthusiast looking to get better

Hello everyone!

I've lurked the guild a few times before in search of tutorials and inspiration, but now I've decided to try and take the next step in my cartography journey, and figured formally joining would be a good first step!

I've been interested in maps since I was young, when I would spend hours exploring Google Earth or pouring over the atlases in my school's library. The bug really got me about 5 years ago though, when I (like many others) started playing TTRPGs. I started with very simple maps meant to assist me with worldbuilding, but constantly felt the pull to get more serious about it. Attached is my first big attempt for a region map, which carried my campaign for the past 3 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f31d6769-3507-411a-9441-e00bbde8e0ee.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	5.12 MB 
ID:	134619

I'm very excited to learn from the guild members and improve my skills, and am particularly interested in shaded relief maps for fantasy worlds (and appreciate any links to relevant posts!).

Best,
    Taethelan

Looks like you've taken great first steps on your journey! Welcome to the Guild, glad to have you along. What software are you working with?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That map was made by scanning a B&W hand-drawing and coloring/editing in Adobe PS

Thanks guys! So far I've mostly mapped with hand-drawn line art followed by editing and coloring in PS.