Thread: Map of Eribeth (graphite, digital, mixed techniques)

Map Map of Eribeth (graphite, digital, mixed techniques)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERIBETH ALL FINAL NBPETIT.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	134518

I present to you the last map I drew for a commission for the fantasy novel "Four of Akynd". I loved making this map , did you know of any places that specialize in commissioning fantasy maps? I realize that I really like making maps for other people but I suck at self-promotion!
    Last edited by atypikk; 10-23-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Man your mountains and icons are amazing!

I think most people who do commissions will either get people through them advertising on here (in the request a map section) or through finding people interested who see their work on social media. Self promotion is a big part of this sort of work I think until you get a large enough base at least (this is all here-say though - hopefully someone in the know will respond ).

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Man your mountains and icons are amazing!

I think most people who do commissions will either get people through them advertising on here (in the request a map section) or through finding people interested who see their work on social media. Self promotion is a big part of this sort of work I think until you get a large enough base at least (this is all here-say though - hopefully someone in the know will respond ).
    Ok thank you for your advices !

Blog Entries

A small collection on here in an album would do wonders for self promotion. Once you have a few that have similar style and ability then people can judge if thats what sort of map they want. We have the map making requests forum here which people regularly ask for commissions. But I do urge people to put up a few of their own maps here so that people can see what you do. Otherwise take on the free requests and use them as a base to start with. But I think your quality is so good that you will not need it.

I particularly like the way you have the text hovering over the land. Thats an unusual touch. But all of it is really excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    A small collection on here in an album would do wonders for self promotion. Once you have a few that have similar style and ability then people can judge if thats what sort of map they want. We have the map making requests forum here which people regularly ask for commissions. But I do urge people to put up a few of their own maps here so that people can see what you do. Otherwise take on the free requests and use them as a base to start with. But I think your quality is so good that you will not need it.

I particularly like the way you have the text hovering over the land. Thats an unusual touch. But all of it is really excellent.
    Thank you for your appreciation and your wise advice! For the text I really wanted to integrate it into the landscape to make it more organic on the map.

Such a cool style, I love how stark the contrast is! I really like how the steeply curved, sharp mountain formations look on the eastern isle.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love your style, it's very unique. The contrast and the sharp lines are really striking and I really like the charcoal-like line texture you've gone with.

In terms of getting commissions, self-promotion is key. I'm not a huge fan of it myself but it's a skill you need to learn if you want to be commercially successful and you've picked a good platform to start on (cartographers guild). Instagram is another good place, you do have to be a bit careful there though as you get a lot of spam requests and the algorithm can be quite fickle. I would also recommend setting up your own website, even if it's just a simple little one-page site on the free WordPress tier, as a good place to display your portfolio and make it easy for people to contact you. The map requests forum here can be a good place to start although many of the requests there seem to be from people who haven't commissioned work before and they are often put off when they hear how long things will take and how much they will cost. In my experience, the best work comes from people who approach you directly and to get those requests you need to maintain a consistent online presence and build a following.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by atypikk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ERIBETH ALL FINAL NBPETIT.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	134518

I present to you the last map I drew for a commission for the fantasy novel "Four of Akynd". I loved making this map , did you know of any places that specialize in commissioning fantasy maps? I realize that I really like making maps for other people but I suck at self-promotion!
    Very nice I love the style.

Echoing others in that I love the dark, 'sketchy' style of this. The text doesn't look too out of place or digital either which can be a particular challenge with a style like this

Regarding getting commissions, I've mainly gained commissions from here (in the map requests section) or on twitter (though not sure how trustworthy the latter is these days)

Thank you for all your opinions and valuable advice! I'm really glad you like my drawing style!