Thread: Is there a Photoshop or Illustrator action/plug-in for adding complexity?

Question Is there a Photoshop or Illustrator action/plug-in for adding complexity?

I've been making hand-drawn maps for a long time, but was wondering recently if there's a way to draw a simple line or shape and to run a script/action/plug-in to add complexity to it.

Here's a link to what I mean. Basically, I'd like to draw a vague coastline or continent, then let the system automate my desired level of complexity. In the example, I hand-drew each of those, but the idea is that I could draw the line/object in Step One, then run the script/action to get the results in Line 2, then run it again to get the results in Line 3.

I generally work in Photoshop with (obviously) raster files, but I'd be keen to learn Illustrator if the latter has the ability to do this.

Thanks!

If you're using Gimp RobA wrote a script for just that: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=6465

There may be an equivalent Photoshop plugin somewhere.

If you're working with vector (since you mentioned Illustrator) you might consider the fractalize extension in Inkscape...

Export an SVG from Illustrator and open in Inkscape
    If you're working with a raster file, you can still use Inkscape, but you'd need to export a PNG from Photoshop, import this into Inkscape, then run Path > Trace Bitmap on to create a vector object.
    Then go to Extensions > Modify Path > Fractalize
    Play about with the numbers to see what suits you (turn on the Live preview)
    After running the function, there will be a lot of nodes. If you want reduce them, try hitting Ctrl + L (Simplify) once or twice.
    You can export a high-res PNG if you want a raster file to open again in Photoshop, or use File > Save As and select 'Optimised SVG' from the drop down box of file types. You should be able to open this in Illustrator without any problems (I hope!)

I don't have PS or Illustrator so can't offer any advice for those programs. Sorry.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Ooh, that's cool. Thank you! Will need to check out Gimp. That's exactly what I'm seeking.

I'll check out Fractalize. Thank you. I don't know Inkscape, but I'm willing to learn if it gives me the output I seek. Much appreciated!

Check out Other World Mapper, it has the ability to draw a vector fractal line and adjust its complexity and the seed for fractalizing it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!