Thread: Fantasy map of a single region

Post Fantasy map of a single region

This commission is now taken.

Hoi! I am looking to commission to have a map made for a special edition hardcover novel, which I am planning to run a Kickstarter for around March 2023. I would like the map to be able to fit on a single 6x9 in page, so in reality I think the map would need to be more like 5x8 in or so. If it has to be spread across two pages, that is okay too. It does not need to be in color, despite the example reference I am including, but I think it does need to be 300 DPI. Because I am looking to put this map in a published work, I would like to copywrite it, or whichever way is simplest for all parties involved. I'm new to this, so bear with me. I've never put a map book before, so it would be helpful if the cartographer knows a little bit about doing that, though it's not exactly required.

I recreated the region as best as I could using the free version of Inkarnate, and added hills myself in the plains outside of Last Thesi, as well as the two shacks on either side of the large hill to the east. There are a couple of things I would want to have a little more specific on the map that I could not make with Inkarnate. First, since Last Thesi is the main location on the map, I would like to have a design that is somewhat similar to the source material. It is a large city surrounded by three walls (no wall on the beach facing side), with two giant double doors in the front which face East, and with a giant tower sitting at the center of the city. The other two, minor things are that there is a graveyard directly south of Last Thesi that I couldn't convey well with Inkarnate, and that the town Olivard to the northeast is a port town existing on a long wooden dock.

All that aside, my timeframe is preferably before March (if that's possible). I can discuss any further details or answer any questions via DM or email with interested cartographers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eminent Map test 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	134771
    Last edited by MarvinNorth; 12-06-2022 at 12:48 PM. Reason: commission taken

Hi there!

I'm an experienced mapper and have worked with authors, roleplayers and other storytellers to bring their worlds to life. You can find some samples of my work on my website, or follow the links in my signature to my social media platforms.

If you like what you see and think my style would suit your needs, I'd love to chat more. I'm afraid you won't have access to the forum's DM system until you're past the 5 post threshold, but my website has a handy contact form you can use to reach me if you so prefer, or you can email me directly at r (dot) simila (at) kellerica.com

Cheers,

Kell
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Hi! I'm interested. You can take a look at my portfolios (links below) and contact me by email or here by DM.

Hi I'm a fantasy cartographer. I have already done some works for some authors (for board games and for a young author for a novel that will be published in 2023). Check out my instagram page @hyn_works. If you like what you see and my style, write me on hynworks at gmail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinNorth View Post
    Hoi! I am looking to commission to have a map made for a special edition hardcover novel, which I am planning to run a Kickstarter for around March 2023. I would like the map to be able to fit on a single 6x9 in page, so in reality I think the map would need to be more like 5x8 in or so. If it has to be spread across two pages, that is okay too. It does not need to be in color, despite the example reference I am including, but I think it does need to be 300 DPI. Because I am looking to put this map in a published work, I would like to copywrite it, or whichever way is simplest for all parties involved. I'm new to this, so bear with me. I've never put a map book before, so it would be helpful if the cartographer knows a little bit about doing that, though it's not exactly required.

I recreated the region as best as I could using the free version of Inkarnate, and added hills myself in the plains outside of Last Thesi, as well as the two shacks on either side of the large hill to the east. There are a couple of things I would want to have a little more specific on the map that I could not make with Inkarnate. First, since Last Thesi is the main location on the map, I would like to have a design that is somewhat similar to the source material. It is a large city surrounded by three walls (no wall on the beach facing side), with two giant double doors in the front which face East, and with a giant tower sitting at the center of the city. The other two, minor things are that there is a graveyard directly south of Last Thesi that I couldn't convey well with Inkarnate, and that the town Olivard to the northeast is a port town existing on a long wooden dock.

All that aside, my timeframe is preferably before March (if that's possible). I can discuss any further details or answer any questions via DM or email with interested cartographers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eminent Map test 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	134771
    I could be interested as well if you 'd like a different realistic style ... Portfolio

Hi, happy to help you with this. I've made a bunch of maps that have gone into books, including maps that have gone into professionally published books! I do cartography work for 3 different Canadian publishers. Here's a map I made to go into The Everspring by JM Gillingham, designed to match the art style of the book cover! Just go to the front page of my portfolio to see more examples if you want, but I think this is the best example I have of a book that shows I can match the source material and make appropriate design for a print book.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Journeyer

Hello,

here're links to my works, If you're interested hit me up via any of those or via email endi.oblak93@gmail.com

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Strigunart

IG: https://www.instagram.com/strigun.art/