Thread: World Map with Biomes

Help World Map with Biomes

Hello there,

I'm a fantasy writer looking for some help finessing a world map.

Summary
    I have an Earth-like fantasy world that I've designed the landmasses for. This has been done over a few years to get them to a point that I'm happy with them, but they're still very much in draft form until this next stage of the project is complete. What I'm looking for now is someone to take this map and adjust it to include topographical features (such as mountains, rivers, lakes...) and the resulting biomes across the globe. There are a few specific areas that I'd like to achieve a particular environment for, and I'm comfortable making some changes to the map to make it so.

Once the natural geography and climate are clear, I'll be able to create detailed regional maps from this global map and overlay political borders, cities, towns, roads and artificial landmarks. This project is just to produce the natural geography and climate for the world. If you're interested in the project and are looking for a longer-term relationship, please make that clear so we can find a balance that works for both of us.

What I'm looking for
    • A revised world map including topography and biomes, ideally in Wonderdraft
      Timeline: flexible - I'm not interested in stressful deadlines; this is meant to be fun
      Quality: high, professional; I'd like to do this once, and do it properly so we don't need to keep revisiting it
      Cost: within reason to achieve the result
      Copyright: I retain sole and complete ownership
      Style: traditional colour fantasy map - I'm flexible on the stylistic detail and would like it to come from you so it's something you enjoy and are proud of

What I already have to get things started
    • A draft world map in Wonderdraft, 8000 x 4000px
      Previous iterations of two of the topography and political environment on two of the continents, in Wonderdraft
      A flexible approach to getting a quality map that will set the foundation for a lifetime of stories and campaigns

I'm excited about this next stage of the worldbuilding that I'm doing - please reply in this thread to contact me or through private messages.

Please and thank you,
    John

Hello , not sure of the Wonderdraft, but i case I might be interested, you can contact me on the site if you like.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Hi,
    What kind of elements did you use for the Wonderdraft maps? The built-in ones or custom-made elements?

Guild Journeyer

Hello,

I don't use wonderdraft but if you like my work you can contact me via any of my pages or via endi.oblak93@gmail.com

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Strigunart

IG: https://www.instagram.com/strigun.art/

CHEERS!

I would be interested in the project and I don't typically do projects in Wonderdraft but I am pretty framiliar with the program. I should also let you know Wonderdraft is strictly a "Personal Use rights" program so basically you wouldn't be able to own or retain any rights to the assets used to create the piece in the program.

I am willing to talk with you to figure out what might work best for your end goal for the project. Feel free to reach out at ralarismaps@gmail.com and you can check out my past works here just a not I only have full hand drawn pieces listed on my site no wonderdraft pieces.

I hope to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralaris View Post
    I should also let you know Wonderdraft is strictly a "Personal Use rights" program so basically you wouldn't be able to own or retain any rights to the assets used to create the piece in the program.
    This is misinformation. From the Wonderdraft site:

3. I want to publish or sell my maps. Can I?

Yes, as long as the maps are your original creation. There are no additional fees or royalties.
    So no, it's not a personal use only program. What you are thinking about is the third-party created assets for Wonderdraft.

On CartographyAssets.com, the primary source for Wonderdraft assets, people can set the terms for their assets. Some people don't allow commercial use, some do: some with credit, some unrestricted. If you made your own assets you are guaranteed no problem, and if you are mindful about which assets you pick, or you use program default assets, you are in the clear. I sell all my Wonderdraft assets with commercial licenses, no credit required.

So basically, what actually is true here is, OP, you've said:

Copyright: I retain sole and complete ownership
    You can't get that with Wonderdraft unless you get someone who makes unique assets for your map and your map alone, because it is an asset manager program. The default assets will be in thousands of other maps and any other asset packs are stock that other people can buy. However, the final composition of the map can be yours and yours alone, and as long as the correct license of assets are picked, that can be true.

Anyway, I sell Wonderdraft assets but I don't map in it, personally don't like using it, good luck on finding the right person. You are of course welcome to use my Wonderdraft assets in your map though!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Lots of great comments on this thread everyone, thank you. I'm going to try and provide a few answers to some of the common questions quickly now.

I'm anticipating using the map for my personal use as an aid to writing stories and running campaigns, and will also host a version on my worldbuilding/writing wiki. I do not anticipate any commercial gain from the map/content there, and if the unlikely event of any of my work being published were to occur, I would expect to commission a custom map specifically for that purpose, likely matching the cover designs for the books. So all my concerns about the assets etc are just to facilitate this without creating conflict. I'm currently using standard assets when I'm doing it myself, and am open to acquiring custom assets if they'll make the map 'better'.

The significant gap I have in the mapmaking at the moment is the addition of coherent physical geography (mountains, rivers etc) and then mapping the resulting climates - this is of greater importance to me than the map being created in Wonderdraft, so if you have experience in the climatology and not in Wonderdraft, I'd be more interested to have a conversation with you than a fellow novice at the climates even if they're an expert in Wonderdraft.

:-D

Hello. I can be of assistance if you havent already found someone. You can contact me via Reddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/JuggernautMaps/