Thread: Let me introduce myself. Professional artist. Hobbyist cartographer.

Post Let me introduce myself. Professional artist. Hobbyist cartographer.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself here.

I have had a love of maps since I was a kid. Whenever my dad went on a business trip I asked him to bring me home a map of wherever he traveled to. I would pour over them for hours at a time wondering what those places were really like. My imagination would go crazy as I visualized those places in my mind. Undoubtedly nothing like the actual place. But it was exciting to imagine what could be. And of course that led to drawing my own maps of my own imaginary worlds.

I still love looking at maps of real places. And I still love imaging what those places are like. But I also still make my own imaginary worlds come to life through map making.

Professionally, I am a visual fine artist. I paint landscape oil paintings and sell them. I've been very fortunate to have had a career doing what I love my entire adult life. But despite being a visual artist by profession, I find myself drawing maps whenever I am absentmindedly doodling.

So I thought to myself, I have successfully had a career with one of my passions, why not expand and try it with my other passion as well. So I am here.

In the past, I always viewed my map making as a hobby at most, but even that was a stretch. It was really more doodling and a way to zone out whenever I needed a break from other things. So my proficiency is far lower than the art I create for galleries. And I have always only created maps with pen or pencil. Always analog. But I am eager to learn digital map making.

Browsing through this forum has truly inspired me. There are so many great cartographers here. I have lots to learn, but I am super excited for the journey and I will share once I have something I feel worthy of sharing. May be a while. lol.

Keith

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the guild! Your story is fun and I am glad you found a career that you love doing.

On how to translate from drawn to digital, that is one I am very familiar with, I started out drawing, but I sensed there was a lot of possibility with digital map making. So, at first I drew maps and scanned them. And I have had some real success with that( Thunder rock). But it is quite complicated and it limits you on how much you can alter when you need to make bigger changes.

Eventually, I transitioned to full digital. It helped that I got a drawing tablet, since it is much easier to do linework and smaller details with it. Still, I can vouch for the sheer amount of possibilities that opened up with making digital only maps. Much more room to undo or redo mistakes for one.

I hope you enjoy your time one here. And feel free to ask advice
    Cheers,
    Omri

(P.S. It becomes much easier to post after 5 posts.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi Keith, welcome to the guild.

I had a bit of a look online and I think I found your website (keithbond.com?), your paintings are lovely. I can't wait to see some of your maps on this site. As well as posting finished work, the guild is also a great place to post work-in-progress shots and ask for advice if you have any issues as you delve into digital art.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Eventually, I transitioned to full digital. It helped that I got a drawing tablet

I just bought myself a drawing tablet and look forward to exploring the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    I had a bit of a look online and I think I found your website (keithbond.com?), your paintings are lovely.
    Yes, that is my website. Thank you for checking it out. I do need to update it with newer works, tho. lol.

Beautiful work, Keith! I have never seen oil looking so washed and vibrant at the same time. It is a very distinct and eye-catching effect! I can't wait to see what you can do on a map.