Thread: AI world with underworld (Name: TBD!)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Map AI world with underworld (Name: TBD!)

Ok .. so, once again I turned to midjourney, asking it to dream up a world map.

The prompt was

fantasy world map, two continents, forzen polecaps, mountains, rivers, jungles, forests, hand drawn style, --v 4 --ar 3:2
    (Yes, I unintenionally misspelled "frozen"..)

This is one of the results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CatZeyeS_fantasy_world_map_two_continents_forzen_polecaps_mount_d322420a-7f69-4b38-b9e0-0934b852.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	134869

Pretty impressive, if you ask me. And by far superior to anything I could dream up..
    It even created a gloomy underworld.
    Ok, it made mountains out of water and lets trees grow right inside the ocean.
    Then again, this is a fantasy map, so .... a wizard did it .. ??

Maybe here and there some photoshopping/gimping is required .. for example at the borders .. but the overall map is pretty rad for my taste.

If anyone of you recognizes his drawing style, please do let me know!

Also, C&C, if you want to - then again, there is nothing I could change with this map anyway ..

Kind regards,
    Kai
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free Print and Play games

I just made it cough up another map, using the same keywords ..
    I notice similarities in the style and I wonder, which artist or which art style is the basis for this style ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CatZeyeS_fantasy_world_map_two_continents_frozen_polecaps_mount_060cdbfe-31b7-439f-abf3-cfaa9c80.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	134872

Interesting: This time it tried to write text onto the map. Oddly enough with no usable words, much less fonts. I could hand out that map and they were like "dude, we cannot read, what's written there" to which I could only reply "o'rly?"
    The two cities do look nice, though..

Kind regards,
    Kai

These are certainly looking quite interesting. I wondered if AI generation would really work for maps as there are many rules you need to follow to make them look believable. The art style the AI chose is quite nice but the rivers definitely break the laws of physics in quite a few ways.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. It's unusable as anything except for assets. Since most clients have very specific details for maps I think it will be a long time before AI is really useful for them. I can see extracting the mountains as brushes, for example, but this is chaos.

I've been trying to train a model on my own maps but I really have to redo it without the text layers so it stops trying to infer text as part of the pattern.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I agree about the river thing .. Chances are, one would need to train an A.I. specifically to follow the rules for mapmaking. ESPECIALLY the flow of rivers as well as anything that grows naturally.
    I'm not giving myself any credit for these maps. I didn't do anything except for entering some vague keywords into midjourney. I wonder, though, how deep into detail one could go here. (Maybe something like: 2 continents, one in the west one in the east, the western one having features A, B, C, D, E, F in positions 1,2,3,4,5,6 and the eastern [etc..]
    Text currently seems to be an issue, too. Midjourney has been trained patterns as to where to place text. However, its ideas of what letters or even full words do look like are a mess at best. (This shows pretty good, too, when you task it to create a company logo or something. The graphical part usually is stellar - accompanied by inferior text).

These two maps presented are "Chaos". That's a nice term. Because they are. However, if you turn the creaiton process around and start with a map like this, you could make for an interesting world. (Got an explanation for mountains consisting of water?)

Kind regards,
    Kai