Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working on a new Climate tutorial, need feedback.

It should be a lower pressure because the land is warmer than the surround waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    It should be a lower pressure because the land is warmer than the surround waters.
    Ok thanks all rest seems all correct to you?

Il looks ok,

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

But how do you know how to place them exactly? I know the general rules, but what about placing them with precision and accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodytheClimateGuy View Post
    But how do you know how to place them exactly? I know the general rules, but what about placing them with precision and accuracy?
    I am trying to find rule of thumbs to follow, of course it will not be 100 % accurate but I hope to get enough accurate, also shallow waters could come into play, I am mostly referencing to geography and not biomes , that could play yet another layer of complexity but since we need mostly those analysis to place Biomes it would be too complicate to change back again once you get them , also the all other settings are thought to be Earth Twins, couse even a slight change in temperature can make the Desert back green and escape the rule of thumbs kind of , so if i should consider earht I would make Desert green mostly only in case of an axial change in the precession eventually that modifies the thermal lines and pressure fronts.
    Some rule of thumbs i am trying to write down are like for example when you draw the line if you meet the land and you are at 30° or around that , consider if there is also a mountain range, what direction is oriented and how big it is , if the sea is stopping there or if beyond there is other sea, the coriolis wind force and the latitude side , emisphere side , if there are high or low pressure zones already nearby, etc.

Another thing... Can you list me a list of features that could be added for the climate model ?

like the pressure system, the temperature, axial tilt etc but also albedo and others I cannot map in the tut?

Link Biome/climate simulator

Hello there.
    I was researching something along these lines for the last couple of years for a personal map and this thread reminded me of it. So I began to think that surely there was out there some software that calculated all that for you. And after five minutes searching I've found a very promising website that explains along the lines I got stuck on (I got stuck on research and stopped making the (my) map, not the first time something like that happened, or the research was so detailed that passing all that to a map stopped being fun and started being boring or a chore).
    I was researching the wind cells: Hadley cells, Ferrel Cells and Polar Cells (the wind that transports water and determines rainy or arid landscapes). To be honest, all those things they tell about how the climate is changing and all that, knowing how little we know about climate, is probably just made up BS to scare us, because more CO2 in the atmosphere won't stop the Hadley-Ferris-Polar Cells system. The climate is actually determined by the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere, and CO2 emmissions don't affect that. Sorry, got here on a tangent.

Here is the webpage I found:
    https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/climate-sim.php

You enter your heightmap and the sim runs and calculates temperature and rain given where the cells are and how wind stripes water vapour off the ground, and you get the climates, I suppose.

I tested inputting a 1024x1024px b&w heightmap png of white noise obtained at https://heightmap-generator.com/:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeightmapClimateProject.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	957.4 KB 
ID:	136876

Ugh that's too defined. I should erode it a bit with BlendR, but not worth it for this example.

With the URL modified so it would process the image correctly: https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/c...24&height=1024
    With the water level at 0.5 height, and Equatorial rotation and irradiance untouched (so that means, the same as Earth's).
    And here is the output:

Name:	HeightmapClimateProject-biomes.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	136877

It looks pretty good to me.

However it still has some limitations that are specified at the bottom of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by 4maram View Post
    Hello there.
    I was researching something along these lines for the last couple of years for a personal map and this thread reminded me of it. So I began to think that surely there was out there some software that calculated all that for you. And after five minutes searching I've found a very promising website that explains along the lines I got stuck on (I got stuck on research and stopped making the (my) map, not the first time something like that happened, or the research was so detailed that passing all that to a map stopped being fun and started being boring or a chore).
    I was researching the wind cells: Hadley cells, Ferrel Cells and Polar Cells (the wind that transports water and determines rainy or arid landscapes). To be honest, all those things they tell about how the climate is changing and all that, knowing how little we know about climate, is probably just made up BS to scare us, because more CO2 in the atmosphere won't stop the Hadley-Ferris-Polar Cells system. The climate is actually determined by the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere, and CO2 emmissions don't affect that. Sorry, got here on a tangent.

Here is the webpage I found:
    https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/climate-sim.php

You enter your heightmap and the sim runs and calculates temperature and rain given where the cells are and how wind stripes water vapour off the ground, and you get the climates, I suppose.

I tested inputting a 1024x1024px b&w heightmap png of white noise obtained at https://heightmap-generator.com/:

Name:	HeightmapClimateProject.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	957.4 KB 
ID:	136876

Ugh that's too defined. I should erode it a bit with BlendR, but not worth it for this example.

With the URL modified so it would process the image correctly: https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/c...24&height=1024
    With the water level at 0.5 height, and Equatorial rotation and irradiance untouched (so that means, the same as Earth's).
    And here is the output:

Name:	HeightmapClimateProject-biomes.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	576.3 KB 
ID:	136877

It looks pretty good to me.

However it still has some limitations that are specified at the bottom of the page.
    Interesting! I will take a look thankyou.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12