Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working on a new Climate tutorial, need feedback.

Default Working on a new Climate tutorial, need feedback.

Hello , so I usually when I make climates I follow a series of algorythms developed in several tutorials I saw around starting from Artifexian one, but I wante dto make my own method and develop a more straightfoward process to create a more indepth climate map that goes a little beyond the Artifexian model adding that layer of complexity mostly due to mapping high and low pressure areas, precipitation and temperatures. So the maps above are about a world I am making for another client and I am using that as base to improve and eventually make the tutorial on that. I started from a tectonic worldbuilding as usual and I reached that shape :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clean.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	134989

then everything else is based on an earthlike setting, so a Earth Twin with different topology.

The heuristic model I am working on starts so by making twin maps both of January and June , and alternate winters/ Summer Cycles like the pixie tutorial.
    But I wanted to find a more defined algorythm to draw the PH ( Polar high), PF ( Polar Front), STHZ (Subtropical High Zone) and ITCZ (Intertropical High zone).

I start with mapping and defining the High pressure Areas of Poles then the Polar front of low pressure, then the STHZ line and finally the ITCZ line.

for all of the four I have developed a kind of rule of thumb to place and draw them and I have also in mind the thermal equator but is basically the same of the ITCZ but with a more angled and straighter changes.

I would like some experts on climatology to review those results on the maps I have uploaded ed so discuss of the why's and because's of them. Thankyou.

Name:	January.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	134990

Name:	June.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	134991

This is very cool. I myself have never touched the creation of climate models, but I am glad that new textbooks are appearing!
    Good luck!

I'm no expert at all, but look forward to seeing this for future reference. Another place where I know there are some people who do a lot of climate stuff is the Weldholm discord server: https://discord.gg/5MyppwhJ

Here I have reworked the "style" of the pressure and dominant winds map, I am still not sure about the STHZ if I can bend it as long as it sicks to the sea anyway , basically it serves to individuate the points of high pressure , linking but in this January map the overall high pressure is broken by the presence of the ITCZ so it looks uncontiguousin the summer in southern emisphere instead should be opposite.
    I am thinking to use a similar map to explain eventually the tutorial but I will lighten up and improve the readability of it hopefully so sugestions are welcome.
    The only thing I am dubious right now is about the STHZ as said .I also have detailed in the notes I am putting down how to position the Enso events and eventually a heuristic way to plan it , and if I can also will add possible spots for flood/tides.

Name:	January.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	134999

Ok does someone knows a place where I can submit for review this stuff ? Seems the ones I tried didn't see any expert surface.
    Tried worldbuilding stack exchange
    Reddit subreddits
    Here
    Discord.

Also what other aspects should be important to include in the process?
    So far I did cover:
    Coriolis
    High/iw pressure patterns
    Wind distribution
    Current circulation
    Enso events
    Cyclogenesis
    Tides/floods.
    Last edited by Naima; 01-04-2023 at 05:19 AM.

Ok updated maps .

Name:	clean.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	651.8 KB 
ID:	135007

Name:	January.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	135008

Name:	June.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	135009

I guess no one is interested in it or has enough experience with climate modeling patterns?

I haven't worked on climate stuff in 2 1/2 years, so I'm a little rusty,
    I think your maps are decent, except for one area in summer that should have a larger low pressure over the continent.

Views:	43 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	135010

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    I haven't worked on climate stuff in 2 1/2 years, so I'm a little rusty,
    I think your maps are decent, except for one area in summer that should have a larger low pressure over the continent.

Views:	43 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	135010
    I see thanks, indeed I am not sure of the extensions of those areas, I left there some room couse I thought that the "open" areas of the surface could allow the winds to flow more into the land carrying the moisture that cumulated more inside, so you say it would form higher pressure directly on the interiors of the coasts?
    What about everything else ? in theory I ssupposed that the no painted area are generically middle to low pressure zones that then become more low in blue areas , while the high pressure are more concentrated in the yellow and orange parts.

Btw here on this Discord chat channel I described also more in the details some of the rule of thumbs I am using to apply the model , I plan to summarize them in an easier to follow kind of flow chart.

https://discord.com/channels/8515784...99949725716491

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast