Thread: Ahoy!

Default Ahoy!

Hey guys, I'm Scott. I can't draw to save my life. I can barely color in the lines. BUT I absolutely love maps of every kind. I love studying them, poring over them. I love the details! Reality or fantasy... I'm in.

Thanks for everyone's hard work!

Blog Entries

Hi Scott, Welcome to the guild. Not every map has to be fully drawn. We can generate some random terrain and get programs to work on them and we have other apps which stamp down premade art stamps to make them. So its not all beyond anybodys reach that has limited art skills. Art skills definitely help but patience and determinism is also pretty useful to have in abundance.

Yep, what Red said. The nice thing about cartography is that you don't necessarily need to be able to draw in the literal sense to create really awesome maps. I know a lot of great artists who get amazing results with digital tools and a mouse.

That being said, nothing to stop you from just strolling down the Guild halls and admiring the art. No need to contribute yourself, you're welcome to stay either way. But. You know. Give it a go if you feel curious. Plenty of tutorials here too to get you started too, if you're looking for some ideas on how to go about it. Although you may never be able to reclaim your life ever again after that.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.