Thread: Hello, everyone!

Map Hello, everyone!

Hello, everyone!
    I'm an illustrator and DM/writer, and the past couple years I've gotten really into making fantasy maps for my worlds. I hadn't realized there was a whole community of map-makers, and I'm excited to get to know you!

I'm looking forward to learn tips, meet other artists, and join the community!
    I'd love to hear a little bit of what the vibe is like - is it mostly map makers, people looking for map artists, are there certain kinds of map makers the community attracts? I guess I'll poke around the forums and find a few of the answers myself as well

This is one of my own maps for a DnD world I created - I generally use ink and watercolor on cold press watercolor paper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omallia+Galliahs+Map+by+Maria+Oglesby.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	135025

http://www.mariaoglesbyart.com/#/maps/

Hi Maria, welcome to the guild. I like your maps, it looks like you use a very similar set of materials to me.

The active community on the guild is mostly map makers, people do post commission requests on the mapping requests forum (it looks like you've already found this area) but not many of the people who post there really seem to get involved with the rest of the forum. In terms of style, types of maps and materials used there is certainly quite a range. The finished maps forum and the thumbnails page within it are great places to poke around to see the range of work that gets posted on the guild.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Glad you have found our little hub of fellow map artists, you should be in good company here!

I think we do have a fairly good selection of different map artists. I'd say the majority of us are some flavour of fantasy cartographers and world builders, with some smaller subgroups (some more into the more traditional fantasy maps like yours, while we also get some folks really dedicated to crafting extremely realistic con-world projects that can get really impressive) and the occasional real-world mapper scattered amoung the crowd too. Most of the actual commission business does mostly take place in the dedicated sub-forum, with the rest of the forum mostly focusing on sharing our art with others (some of said art commissioned by others, mind you).

But as you said yourself, might be best to take a little stroll around the place and see for yourself If you have any trouble finding your way around or have any questions, just holler. Welcome to the Guild - glad to have you along!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.