Thread: Omallia Map (DnD Fantasy world)

Map Omallia Map (DnD Fantasy world)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omallia+Galliahs+Map+by+Maria+Oglesby.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	135030

This is a map I made for one of the DnD worlds I'm working on. I used a sepia ink wash for the paper then added some pale watercolor washes for the water. The drawing is done with dipping pen and burnt umber ink, with the countries in burgundy felt pen.
    I use watercolor paper for my maps in general because it does the best with the washes I put on it. I made a couple small edits in photoshop to fix a couple tiny mistakes, but aside from that it's entirely hand done.

I think you managed something I always struggled with. When adding raised mountains the landmass always ended up looking too small. That doesn't happen here. The land looks big, maybe cause of all the placenames you added.

Some of the mountains are better than others, I would try to figure out which one works for you and work from that.

In general I see many people on here lable their maps directly on the drawing, I would reccomend to do this seperatly and combine it in photoshop. Partly because writing and drawing (atleast to me) are different skills and im better at drawing than lettering. And partly cause its so much easier moving thing around and changing things after the drawing is finished.
    Keep up the good work.

The image is a bit too small to see the details properly, but shape of the continent looks cool. I agree with Hindsight on the scale - the world seems vast in a way that not all fantasy maps do. Makes it look like it's filled with adventures to be had, which is quite ideal for a D&D world. My layout designer brain is a little bothered with how little breathing room there is between the edge of the paper and the coastlines and islands to the left, but I appreciate that in traditional hand-drawn work there isn't really the option to just add more space and move things around, that I as a digital artist take for granted.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing more (and hopefully in a bit more resolution next time )
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Question re:

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    The image is a bit too small to see the details properly, but shape of the continent looks cool. I agree with Hindsight on the scale - the world seems vast in a way that not all fantasy maps do. Makes it look like it's filled with adventures to be had, which is quite ideal for a D&D world. My layout designer brain is a little bothered with how little breathing room there is between the edge of the paper and the coastlines and islands to the left, but I appreciate that in traditional hand-drawn work there isn't really the option to just add more space and move things around, that I as a digital artist take for granted.

Nice work, looking forward to seeing more (and hopefully in a bit more resolution next time )

Thanks!
    Yeah, I agree it got too close to the edge, I did use the clone stamp tool to add a tiny bit of a border, but will def leave more room in future, that's me getting too far into traditional work before I realize it needs to change.
    Re: resolution, I was worried about the image getting used for other things, so I generally just post 72DPI stuff of my work, do you know if that's much of an issue here/ or if it's more standard to post hires files?

Honestly, I'm more used to posting high res files, but your concerns are entirely valid and I don't think it's exactly fair to say that the Guild is any safer than any other place on the web. The images posted here do show up on Google searches and as with anything else posted online, things do get stolen all over the place. I personally prefer to use watermarks on my images, so I can post them a bit larger (still never in full res, obviously), but in these times... who knows how much that helps anymore. I don't.

I will likely continue to take some chances and post my maps in slightly higher res, because it just feels that if I'm trying to show people my maps, it makes more sense to me to, well... show them. But yeah, as I said, fully get if you feel worried about doing it. Your call.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 01-13-2023 at 03:12 PM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Blog Entries

Theres a free watermarking tool in one of the tools in my sig link if you want to use it.