Thread: Zuodong: A Free 17th Century Brush Set for Fantasy Maps

Link Zuodong: A Free 17th Century Brush Set for Fantasy Maps

I’m back with another new brush set! Zuodong is a cartography brush set extracted from four woodblock print maps coming from 廣東輿圖 (Map of Guangdong), an atlas and gazetteer depicting the various settlements and locations of the Chinese province of Guangdong during the Qing dynasty. It's a fantastic collection with mountain-profile signs and symbols rendered in a Chinese-calligraphy aesthetic, but the rough woodblock printing technique gives the whole set a lived-in feel. I think you'll dig it.

As with all my other sets, these are distributed under a CC0 license, which means they’re free to use for personal or commercial work, no attribution required! Let me know what you think!

You can read more about Zuodong and download the set on my blog.

Detailed example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	featuredzuodong.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	880.0 KB 
ID:	135076

Some of the symbols:

Name:	zuodongsampler1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	569.0 KB 
ID:	135077

Name:	zuodongsampler2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	557.3 KB 
ID:	135078

Zuodong in use:

Name:	zuodong_samplemap_color-1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	11.43 MB 
ID:	135079

Gosh, your brush sets are so consistently incredibly that I might actually allow myself to use them one of these days. I know I haven't posted much here in the past, but I've been a lurker on these forums for many years and I've loved seeing these come out. Keep it up!

As someone who very pointedly sought out and purchased an incredibly boring looking book on the subject, I want to say that east asian cartography deserves to inspire way more work in the fantasy cartography I see people making online. Thanks for making that easier, and hopefully more common!

That is very kind of you to say! That book looks absolutely amazing. Going to have to get a copy for myself.
    I'm planning on doing more Asian sets in the future, have a few more resources I want to tap so this isn't the last of my Asian cartography sets.

That is really nice. Usually you can see when a stamp/brush has been multiplied, but in this map that is harder to see. Might be that its cause of the unfamiliar shapes. Might also be cause its a small-ish map and not so many repetitions? Only thing I would consider changing was to not have ocean lines go under coastline. Good work.