Thread: WIP Map - Continent

Wip WIP Map - Continent

Brand new to the site, but I've been working as an artist for awhile and run my own D&D campaign. We're beginning a brand new one, and with it is a brand new world map!

I'd like to get a better understanding of cartography and mapmaking in general, because it's really an enjoyable process. So, if anyone has any feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Looking forward to getting to know the community!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continentmapv2.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	5.68 MB 
ID:	135081

I really like the style of this map. The subtle colors and clean lines feel very late 1800s/early 1900s atlas in a way I really appreciate as someone who collects a lot of maps from that period. I'd love a bit more detail on the map. If the plan is to use the map for a game, my immediate thought is that you're not telling the viewer much about the area presented here other than the relative locations of things and their names. Think about why this map was created, and what information it's meant to convey. Is there a lot of political information you're trying to convey? Create a legend that tells the viewer what the different colors mean. Are these nations in conflict with one another? Highlight contested territories and recent conquests. Is the map intended to help folks travel by sea? You have some lovely lines there that look like trade routes, but no names of the ports marked where they converge.

All in all I love it, and I'm looking forward to to seeing this map evolve! Welcome to the guild!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Building on July's excellent comments and suggestions, what might look really good on this map are hachure or 'caterpillar' mountain ranges; they'd go just right with the overall vibe this map has so far.