Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan/Feb '23 Lite Challenge: Mistruun's Gondola > (Non- Entry)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss Jan/Feb '23 Lite Challenge: Mistruun's Gondola > (Non- Entry)

> Since I have a golden compass. This is not an entry. I'm just going to have fun with a map where an adventure starts.

~~~~~~~~

Gears creaked above, turning away over the rune inscribed cables that span between the mesas above the vast Mistruun Forest. The Gondola lift acted as one of the few safe ways to move past the dangerous forest towards the Gadasan Highlands up on the massive plateaus. It was build many years ago to move over the heart of the forest to keep travelers safe.

Just glancing around the hanging structure, one could see all but a few anxious people. Even those who have made the trek multitudes of times, still gripped the railings of the large gondola as piercing howls sounded from the forest floor. Few knew what horrors waited in the rolling mists of those trees. Yet, most did not wish to know, hoping the gondola would once more make the trek safely.

But for that day’s journey, it was a necessity. Rumors and scarce envelopes from the highlands begged for any who was able to join the fight against an ancient oppressor. So, it began. The great journey over the forests and up the plateau.
    Still, even with that tension hanging over every person on the Gondola, there was beauty there. The great trees of Mistruun was famous as some of them could be seen even going above the height of the Gondola lift, their mighty branches reaching for the sky and casting grand shadows over the canopies of the forest.

Right then gears slowed as the big gondola approached one of many mesas that harbored the anchors for the cables that stretched the distances.
    Loud clicking sounds accompanied the sudden jerking of the slowing structure.

In the distance, a blink of light bounced off the old stone watch towers. Some say there weren’t just ruins, but there were actual villages in the Mistruun. Yet, those tales were often laughed off. The tales of the dangers of the forest was just too many to give credit to it.

Just then on the wooden platforms built on the closest mesa, a group of people in dark cloaks with a silver brand walked out to the edge, just watching the approaching gondola.

“You have been warned,” A voice shouted. “To stay out of our war. Now face the deep fogs of Mistruun.”

Suddenly, a large man with a glowing axe stepped forward and cut the rune inscribed cable with one mighty swing.
    For a moment, the gondola felt weightless. Then the entire structure groaned as it swung down into the dangerous forest as it was swallowed whole.

~~~~

~~~~

Let me know what you thought about that kind of start to a campaign.
    I'm a bit conflicted if I should map the Gondola lift, which has several rooms. Or map the crash site in the forest. What do you all prefer?
    Last edited by XCali; 01-24-2023 at 06:22 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Great set up story!! Welcome to the Non-Challenge! Are you going to map the forest or the gondola itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great set up story!! Welcome to the Non-Challenge! Are you going to map the forest or the gondola itself?
    Thanks. I can't remember if I've entered as a non-entry. But, it is definitely something I want to map.

And yeah, that is the real question?

What do you think I should map for this start? The actual gondola's enterior where the players would be with some NPCs or the forest floor after the crash?

I'm asking, since I'm not a DM and I've only played a handful of sessions. AND since this is a non-entry, I do feel we can discuss what would needs to be added to make this a great 'Starting Point' for a campaign and add to it what is needed.

My thinking is between those two types of maps. Though, I do feel the crash site would make an interesting setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistruun_Gondola_v1_2023-1-24.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	6.09 MB 
ID:	135109

Since it starts out as they are above the forest, I can add a little mini map generally showing the region. Now it's just the decision on what to map for the starting point.
    Last edited by XCali; 01-24-2023 at 06:19 AM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Based on the set-up, I would think that the characters do t really have a chance to act until the gondola has fallen into the forest, so maybe a map of the "crash" site would be best. There is a lot you could do with that. Is the forest so dense that little clearings are far and few between? How badly is the gondola damaged? Does it provide any protection from aggressive/hostile beasties? What kind of equipment might be available or made from the wreckage of the gondola?

Just some food for thought and, perhaps, a bit of inspiration. And dig that set-up.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Based on the set-up, I would think that the characters do t really have a chance to act until the gondola has fallen into the forest, so maybe a map of the "crash" site would be best. There is a lot you could do with that. Is the forest so dense that little clearings are far and few between? How badly is the gondola damaged? Does it provide any protection from aggressive/hostile beasties? What kind of equipment might be available or made from the wreckage of the gondola?

Just some food for thought and, perhaps, a bit of inspiration. And dig that set-up.
    Thanx! I wanted to make a start that was different and rich in possibility.

I appreciate the food for thought, it definitely gave me some ideas to how I can go about this.

A few things I'm thinking about:
    Does the Gondola get split in two over a rock falling down leaving player characters in one clearing having to scrounge up defenses for the coming night.
    Or it can that the whole cart end up in one place and the players need to talk with the veteran NPCs in what need to survive, giving immediate tasks.

I was intrigued by your statement "Is the forest so dense that little clearings are far and few between?"
    What were you pondering with that one?
    Last edited by XCali; 01-24-2023 at 10:34 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Assuming that they have to find a way out, it might be a visibility thing. Clearings would allow for camp sites where they might be able to see something coming before it gets to them. No clearings would give "attackers" plenty of opportunity to sneak up on the characters, particularly if they aren't accustomed to the environment.

Also, clearings would give the characters a chance to look at the sky and, with the proper skills, determine which direction they are headed if they don't have a compass
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 01-24-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Valid point, Greason. Tx.

I'm thinking about having the gondola crash site in the bigger clearing. Maybe they have to decide between setting up defense there or find another place where they might better funnel the attacking beasties.

Name:	Mistruun_Gondola_v2b.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	6.25 MB 
ID:	135110

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Great battlemap, I like the colors and layout, lots of opportunities. Put the gondola somewhere in the clearing and give it enough detail so the adventurers can roll play on the ship and then around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great battlemap, I like the colors and layout, lots of opportunities. Put the gondola somewhere in the clearing and give it enough detail so the adventurers can roll play on the ship and then around it.
    Thanks! I'm trying something different with this map.

I'm still debating if I should go into detail what is strewn about, but I don't know about you, I feel that limits options?

Name:	Mistruun_Gondola_v3.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.49 MB 
ID:	135145

The Gondola Lift before the fall:
    It was a large, sturdy wooden structure that had been built to transport people safely over the treacherous Mistruun Forest. It was designed to be able to withstand the strong winds and heavy loads that came with being suspended high above the forest canopy. The lift was built with a combination of strong and durable woods, such as oak and ironwood, and reinforced with iron and rune inscribed cables and gears.
    The Gondola was painted in a combination of green and a darker burgundy color, which blended in well with the natural surroundings of the forest. The lift had several rooms, including a larger main room where the group of people stood before the fall. The main room had large windows on all sides, providing a panoramic view of the forest and the surrounding mesas. The room was also equipped with comfortable seating.
    Additionally, the gondola had smaller rooms for storage and sleeping quarters for the passengers. They were equipped with simple but comfortable bunk beds, and had small windows that allowed for a bit of light to filter in. Overall, the gondola was built to withstand the numerous treks it made over the forest and provide a sense of security and comfort for the passengers during their journey.
    Last edited by XCali; 01-31-2023 at 04:12 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Discuss ironing out ideas on how to start the first session

Okay, so I'm not a Dungeon Master, but I have been trying to get info on what should consist a first session and considering it is a dangerous location. PLEASE let me know how I can refine this if you have lots of experience as a DM.

To name a few things a Dungeon Master could add to the Gondola Lift to better give level 1 players a chance at surviving the first few nights in the dangerous mist-filled forest:
    1. Survival equipment: Providing the players with basic survival equipment such as a map, compass, and a few days worth of food and water would give them a better chance at surviving in the forest.
    2. Basic weapons: Giving the players basic weapons such as short swords, spears, or bows and arrows would help them defend themselves from the dangerous creatures that may be lurking in the forest.
    3. Tools: Providing the players with tools such as a hatchet, a saw, and a small shovel would allow them to gather resources and build shelter in the forest.
    4. Light sources: Providing the players with light sources such as lanterns or torches would help them navigate through the dark and mist-filled forest.
    5. First aid kit: Providing the players with a basic first aid kit would allow them to treat injuries and illnesses they may sustain while in the forest.
    6. Provisions for camping and shelter: Providing the players with basic camping gear such as tents, and bedrolls, and other shelter-making materials, such as tarps or large leaves, would also help them survive in the forest. Since the adventurers would have had some of these on them for the journey after the gondola ride.

I feel this hits the mark? I'm not too sure what else needs to be added.

For the encounter.
    The monsters that could attack at nightfall when the deep fog rolls in, let's try this list. Tell me which would work and which wouldn't.
    • Goblins: These small, green-skinned humanoids are known for their love of mischief and trickery. They can be found living in small tribes or in underground warrens. They are relatively weak individually, but can pose a threat in large numbers.
    • Wolves: These large, predatory animals are a common sight in many forests. They hunt in packs and can be dangerous to low-level characters who are not well-equipped to defend themselves.
    • Giant Spiders: These large arachnids can be found in many forests and caves. They are known for their venomous bites and are a common source of fear among adventurers.
    • Skeletons: Undead creatures that can be found in many different environments, including forests. They can be a dangerous threat to low-level characters, especially if they are encountered in large numbers.
    • Boggard: Amphibious humanoids that can be found in swamps and marshes, but also can live in the forest. They are known for their aggressive and territorial nature and can pose a significant threat to low-level characters.
    • Stirges: Tiny bloodsucking creatures that can be found in many different environments, including forests. They are known for their small size and speed, making them difficult to hit.

In a misty, forested setting like this. For something less common, let's try this list and see what you guys think?

• Shadow Mastiffs: these are undead dogs that lurk in the shadows and fog, and can phase through solid objects.
    • Giant Centipedes: these can be found in many different D&D settings and are a classic low-level monster.
    • Will-o'-Wisps: these are mischievous spirits that lure travelers into dangerous areas with their ghostly lights.
    • Bog Beasts: these are monsters that live in bogs or swamps, and can be adapted to fit a misty forest setting.
    Additionally, you may want to add some kind of mist monster, like a Fog Elemental, or a Mist Wraith which are undead creatures that dwells in misty places, attacks by draining the life force of creatures it comes in contact with.

So, the idea is:
    In order to prepare for these threats, the players can use the Gondola lift crash site as a base to gather resources and construct makeshift weapons and armor. They could also set traps and alarms around their camp to warn them of approaching danger.

What needs to be added to the scenario that the players should be able to fend off most of these creatures and survive their first few nights in the forest, hopefully to set out to find the nearby village they saw from above the canopy?

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast