Thread: Hello from the North Star State

Default Hello from the North Star State

Greeting all!

I'm new to cartography, save some doddles over the years for various world-building projects. I found this site a few years back when I was looking for some maps to adapt for an old D&D Campaign and love the amazing artwork and level of craft displayed throughout the site!

I have been a lover of fantasy fiction for most of my life and through that developed an unhealthy appreciation for good world-building. There is a world project I've been playing with for nearly 30 years but have no good maps for it yet. Once I have practiced the craft a little bit and developed my personal style I may tackle it. In the meantime, I've just "finished" my first full color map for a new D&D campaign, which I'll post later in the appropriate forum. I threw it together quickly using ideas from previous campaigns, my own world project, and even a few inspirations from this site (I despise designing cities so the cities and town maps here are great tools). Although (or maybe because) I'm an IT professional of 20+ years, I prefer doing it by hand rather than electronically--playing around with Micron pens and gouache for the first time.

In any case, this is my first post and I hope serves as an adequate introduction. If you have questions, go for it.

EverKing

Quote Originally Posted by EverKing View Post
    unhealthy appreciation for good world-building
    I don't think that such a thing is really an option!

Welcome to the guild and start lots of discussions. There are lots of greyhairs and new folks who are usually willing to discuss things!

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I don't think that such a thing is really an option!

Welcome to the guild and start lots of discussions. There are lots of greyhairs and new folks who are usually willing to discuss things!
    Well, unhealthy in view outside certain circles, this among them

Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked periodically over the years and was going to join last spring but got busy and never followed up with activation. Now, having completed a map, I figured I had something to share and add to the discussion so...well...here I am. I'm loving the resources here and really look forward to honing the craft a bit more.