Thread: Wilbur64 and FT3+

Help Wilbur64 and FT3+

The problem I'm having is similar to the one in this post: https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=25013

However, that post links to a set of instructions from Waldronate that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

I've got a decent-looking map with rivers, but when I try to get it into FT3+, I get the same issue with no terrain heights.

Assuming that you have something in Wilbur that looks like your map (whether you imported it or generated it):

a) Use Surface>>Map Info and set Top to 90, Left to -180, Right to 180, and Bottom to -90 in order to cover the entire globe.

b) Make sure that the map has reasonable altitudes. FT3 wants binary input data in meters and Earth runs from 9144 to -9144 meters, so do that (Window>>Histogram will show you the current altitude ranges and Filter>>Mathematical>>Scale or Filter>>Mathematical>>Span will let you get the range of values you want in FT3).

c) Use File>>Save As with type MDR to save your MDR file.

d) In FT3+ (I recommend the 3.5.2 beta that really the 3.5.3 version - download from your ProFantasy download page), Use File>>New, Binary World, pick your MDR file, and then accept the defaults.

Congratulations! You have imported your map!

The most likely cause of error is not setting the Map Info in Wilbur to the specified values for a whole-world map. You can also manually force the values with the Map Edges section of the Binary Data dialog (where you pick the file name), but it's simpler to set it in the file to ensure that you don't forget later. If the map edges are the default values of -1 to +1 then there is likely a very small image of your world covering longitude -1 to +1 from -1 to +1 latitude (a small place). Similarly, if you specify impossible values for the map edges (for example, the top is below the bottom because you're reading an extremely old set of instructions before a particular bug in FT was fixed), then FT3+ will simply ignore your map and use the value specified for "New Value" on the Binary Data dialog everywhere and you won't see any of your data.