Thread: 2d top down, scale map for game idea

Default 2d top down, scale map for game idea

Hi All,

I have a large scale map of a fantacy world which forms the basis of a concept idea I have. However, I am wanting to zoom in on one of the islands on the eastern continent to create a 2d top down map; which I can use as a base to develop a cool idea I have for a 2d top down entry level computer game.

It’s not going to be a small project; the size of the island is approx. 1600m x 1800m; and if it’s say 0.075 pixels per metre, that’s a fairly big image. If that is just unrealistically big, we might be able to scale it back so we can get a working version running to help in the development process.

Attached is an example of the art style I like

If anyone is interested in taking on this project I’d be keen to chat. db10283--at--gmaildotcom

Thanks
    Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elf20village20title20small_zpstalyp5wi.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	577.5 KB 
ID:	135137  

1600m x 1800m; and if it’s say 0.075 pixels per metre, that’s a fairly big image
    I feel like there's a typo there, because that would be like a 125 pixel wide image? Maybe you meant 1600km?

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Blog Entries

I suspect he meant to say 0.075 m per pixel or 7.5cm per pixel or 21,000 x 24,000 pixel image which is fairly large. I suspect that not all of the island needs to be at that kind of resolution and if you mapped some of it at that scale and others of smaller scale then it would be manageable. But it could be tiled and paged in like we do our zoomy maps which are 16,000 pixel square.

I wrote you on gmail
    You can check my style on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hyn_works/
    Surely it must be laid out according to an adequate scale. It can also be tiled, maybe drawing in tiles I could handle it. Perhaps zoomed in on the parts of interest.