Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb '23 Challenge: The Sabellian Binary System

Wip Feb '23 Challenge: The Sabellian Binary System

Okay, I am in. Started putting together some basic system information and layout. There are a lot of little notes on this mostly to remind me of what I still need to do. Feel free to read and comment on those notes if you want. Always open to suggestions and advice. As it stands right now this is either 2/3rds or 1/2 scale of final size depending on whether or not I need to make room for more details/stuff.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout WIP 001.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	524.9 KB 
ID:	135155
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

So math-y. So very math-y! I just make da pictures, but look at you getting all scientific. Looks good, and I love binary system layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    So math-y. So very math-y! I just make da pictures, but look at you getting all scientific. Looks good, and I love binary system layouts.
    Well, you know, math is one of the things I am moderately good at.

So, I made adjustments for the eccentricity of the planetary orbits and determined where they were at at the "moment of the snapshot." Now I have an interesting situation with three of those planets around the F class star. One drifts into the habitable zone for about a quarter of it's year, one spends about half of it's year in the habitable zone, and the third about 60 percent of it's year in the habitable zone.

I am thinking for those last two, there might have to be some migration IF they turn out to be habitable. Of course they WILL turn out to be just that just to keep things really interesting. Haha.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Layout WIP 002.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	135156

Oh, and did I mention that the last planet orbiting that K class star was eccentric enough that it darn near got itself tossed out of the system. Haha again.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 02-02-2023 at 11:24 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Looks pretty col start .

Binary star system are pretty cool. And yup, I like the authentic style approach.

So, the generation system I was using went a little wonky and started giving me planets that were hotter than their stars. Think the author forgot to parse some of the formulas he (or she) was detailing properly. Thus, I had to fall back on WinStarGen as a back-up. It generates a good batch of data for the planets but doesn't quite adhere to Bode's Law (assuming it is a universal "law"). So redid the orbital distances and what not, got a scale in and a couple of suns. Need to start rendering some planet texture now and get them in, then some detail blocks of some sort.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Layout WIP 003.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	135184
    GW

Steady progress. Most of the planets are finished in terms of the diagram. Not entirely happy with the Jovian planets though. Couldn't get them to render from a polar view and still look right so these will have to do. Still need to render to Earth-like planets and figure out something for an asteroid belt, but happy in general with the way things are going so far. In the next day or two, will have to start adding detail blocks of some sort, but haven't quite settled on how I want to do that just yet.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Layout WIP 004.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	135210
    GW

Still plugging away at this. Got better renders of the gas giants this time round, and actually labeled the diagram scale. Still need to do something about an asteroid belt and possible trojan asteroids with the gas giants, but getting there slowly and steadily.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Layout WIP 005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	135256
    GW

So, once again, my math went a little wonky somewhere along the way. Think that I have it all worked out properly now, and it let me represent a little more information visually as far as the "in the moment snapshot" goes in showing everything at it's proper position. Still need to get the more Earth-like planets in their spot orbitally and then start cranking out the more detailed renders of each planet. Not sure if I am entirely happy with that nebulous background just yet and may have to revisit it if I get a chance.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Layout WIP 201.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	346.6 KB 
ID:	135315
    GW

Tweaked a few things here and there with the nebulous background and am a little happier with it. Think I need to add some stars in there to give it a little more character. Also got the Earth-like planets rendered and placed. Now the process of rendering the more detailed versions of the planets begins. Might add in some trojan asteroids as well, but that will be a later flourish if I have time.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Layout WIP 204.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	135321
    GW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast