Thread: Saving in Wilbur

Default Saving in Wilbur

Wilbur supports a huge number of file types. But which one can I use that will save everything?

What I mean is, I have a heightmap that I load in and then I set sea level using Filter>Mathematical>Span, and set the altitude for the snow line. But then any time I save it seems like Wilbur just saves the heightmap. And if I have changed the terrain in almost any significant way- like with an erosion cycle- my Mathematical Span gives different results for a sea level since the highest and lowest points are now different.

So what filetype do I use as the "default" Wilbur filetype to preserve all of this? I played around with all of the filetypes with which I am familiar but I can't figure it out, so I'm guessing that it's one of the specialized mapping filetypes. Is there a recommended one?
    Last edited by acrosome; 02-03-2023 at 11:30 AM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Save as type .mdr file. That should preserve the actual height data.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Wilbur generally only saves the heightmap in various formats. I never got around to implementing a full document type for it.
    However, you can save various parts of the configuration to Lighting Definition (*.lgt), Brush Definition (*.brs), and Surface Definition (*.srf) files (those would be approximately the things on the Shader Setup dialog for the Wilbur shader, the Edit Paintbrush Settings dialog for painting operations, and the Height Field Computation dialog under Filter>>Calculate Height Field).
    The MDR Surface file type will save a precise image of the floating-point heightmap in memory, including the information in the Map Information dialog under Surface>>Map Info. Note that the information that it asks you about for MDR files when saving was in the original concept but was never implemented.

Thanks, you're always Johnny-on -the-Spot. Y'know, this explains a lot of the problems I had with saving files to work on later. I kept wondering why the sea level seemed to change, until I figured this out.

So basically, if you set a sea level using Filter>Mathematical>Span then you need to do all of your work in one sitting? That's what I'm doing now.

I'll try .mdr and see how that goes.

EDIT-- Yep, that works. Thanks, all.
    Last edited by acrosome; 02-03-2023 at 12:39 PM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Blog Entries

i use *.bt image format , it is a 32bit floating point format image
    gdal can convert tiff images to and from bt .
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Even when I was mostly working on ArcGIS, I mostly saved non-image raster information in .bt. It even saves the extents of the grid, so you don’t need a separate worldfile.