Thread: 99% from scratch paper map idea

Map 99% from scratch paper map idea

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230203_165857.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	7.93 MB 
ID:	135169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230203_165912.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.66 MB 
ID:	135170

This is the map I've been working on. I made it from scratch and tried to keep to mostly realistic geography. (there is magic that can cause large and/or long scale natural phenomena) I plan to use tracing paper to show different maps ie; topography, biomes, and political. All of this is hand drawn (little help on river placement with mapgen4) i do plan on using computer stuff eventually but i really enjoy making maps on paper

I'm hoping to get some validation, if that's okay, that this is a feasible map as this is the world I plan to set my novel/webcomic in

Thank you for checking this out

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the layout; it's an interesting continent shape. Is there a reason you've got it laid out at a 45 degree angle on the paper? And I guess the magic phenomena you're talking about are the two rivers running from ocean to ocean?

Default update

Thank you!, I started with a political regional map that was pretty basic, after doing more research i came to this map. I'm adding a pic of the first concept map and the biomes i just finished on tracing paper.

There's many phenomenon ( a giant forest, a fiery volcanic island, a huge crater from an old explosion, a coral reef+) however most phenomenon kinda piggyback environmental factors,

the reason the equator is tilted is two reasons, one; i saw a post talking about how most maps are rectangular, making them stale. then two; i looked at my map more and the different main ideas i have for the story and the equator kinda just fit there. the arctic circle also had a part as that area was part of the base story map.

the picture attached is the semi finished biome map, its a little unreadable so ill be doing another ( eventually it'll all be digital and large to small scale) I'm a little worried the plains is too large and that the biomes are too big and chunky. If anyone has any advice on if the biomes are semi realistic i'd appreciate it ( goal realism- could be realistic if nature rolled a nat one )Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230205_122137.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	135179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230205_115244 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	135180

Hi,

on first look the map is very nice and organic.
    But I just want to ask again what @Diamond already said (and you didn't mention it in the magical phenomenons). Why do 2 rivers cross from one ocean to the other?
    Usually rivers dont do that. They flow from top to bottom, so to say from the mountains towards the ocean.

Maybe one ocean is lower than the other? But maybe the magic can explain