Thread: "Nameless Contnent" - Feedback is welcome

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Wip "Nameless Contnent" - Feedback is welcome

I made this post 7 years ago and forgot about it:

Western Troa Continent - Feedback, please... but i'll keep updating it from now on

Anyway, I finally forced myself to "finish" it, it's never going to be fully finished because is a worldbuilding pet project, but a least the map is closer than ever:
    This is the height map, 6K by 6K, half the real size, bear with me here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - Height Map 50%.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	8.92 MB 
ID:	135175

For now, this is all i got done.

I just started adding some rivers:

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - Rivers - Luckyshot 1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	135176

Name:	Troa Oficial 12k - Rivers - Luckyshot 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	135177

I know, there is a lot of wasted space in the left and top left, i'm saving some room for information when i start making political maps and... well, worldbuilding.

i'm not terrebly worried about realistic geography, tectonics or climate but would be nice to have the phisical map in hand first, to make things not too ridiculous, so i plan on making maps for average temperature, preciptation, climates, biomes and so on, before droping the lore on top of it. (by the way, this extra maps will be posted only in the thread linked in the top of this one)

I have zero professional aspirations, i just want this to look good to play tabletop RPGs with my friends and have fun exercising my imagination, so please, give some feed back on it.
    Last edited by joaodafi; 02-08-2023 at 02:34 PM.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Hello joaodafi,

That's highly exquisite work! Did you hand-draw this entire continent? How long did this take exactly?

I'm attempting to master the atlas-style technique but I'm afraid I'm far behind you. From a cursory glance, the geography looks good, although I'm not totally convinced by that mountain range to the east -- it's somewhat too straight for my liking. (Although Mother Earth might have a very valid justification for making such a feature.)

Congratulations, and I'm looking forward to seeing that final product.

Cheers.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
    That's highly exquisite work! Did you hand-draw this entire continent? How long did this take exactly?
    Yes, all hand-draw, it took about 50~ish hours,

there are better and faster ways to generate this type of maps with much more datails and consistence, using wilbur and some photoshoping,

Thank you for the feedback, i realy should give more character to that mountain range

Guild Member

That looks absolutely amazing, the detail is fantastic. Love the colour scheme too, nice pastel tones.

So much detail! And absolutely staggering that you did it all by hand I really like the number of rivers you've included, it's always refreshing to see lots!

How did you decide where to put the hills and plateaus? I enjoy hearing about other peoples' techniques, especially how you are going to base temperature and climate maps on it later.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rubikia View Post
    So much detail! And absolutely staggering that you did it all by hand I really like the number of rivers you've included, it's always refreshing to see lots!
    For more rivers check the original thread, the next updates will probably be just, truck loads, of rivers and rivers related problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubikia View Post
    How did you decide where to put the hills and plateaus? I enjoy hearing about other peoples' techniques, especially how you are going to base temperature and climate maps on it later.
    Honestly i just go with my guts and put things here i think it will look good, but a good general rule is, in major mountain ranges, since this ones still are subject of tectonic activity, one side should be low and flat and the other should be ruged and elevated, but most of it is just instinct and looks.
    The climate related stuf probablia aldo and up in the original thread, and most important, the making processes.