Thread: Magna Mutatio (Scroll of the) - Personnal project

Default Magna Mutatio (Scroll of the) - Personnal project

Hey Guild!

I just started a personnal project focusing on medieval (gothic) design and the old Good vs. Evil dichotomy

The idea is to make something of a long forgotten scroll about a ritual (The Magna Mutatio) that would invert the places of Heaven and Hell.
    The object will feature the key places of Mount Doom and Mount Heaven (hello generic names).
    The circle in teh center will be a spiraly gothic rosace.

Sketch is really rough and names are mainly placeholders, so don't judge them for now

I'm just tore apart between two rendering style: one that would be the classical old parchment (very rafinate) you would be able to find in an long forgotten library, and another one more stylish and modern with blocks of colors and black cell shading (something ala Thiago Lehmann for exemple)...

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAGNA MUTATIO - 1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	135218
    Thibaud J.B. - Astral booker of l'Arpenteur
    Cartographer and pathfinder of distant lands
    Website |Artstation Portfolio | Instragram | Reddit
    Tel: (+33)6 13 95 93 78
    Discord: l'Arpenteur#6822

This sounds like a really interesting project and your design is looking great so far. In terms of the rendering style, as you're working digitally you could just do both versions of you're willing to put in that much time. Whichever you end up going with though I'm sure it'll look great.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Your texturing is really pleasing to the eye and I really love the thought that you've put into the backstory behind this scroll! The style is really evocative, and I have to agree with wminish that both of your rendering styles sound great and I can't wait to see how it develops!

I do really like the names you've included by the way, 'Orchard of the Eternal-Sun' and 'Conclave of Serenity' make my imagination run wild
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This sounds like a really interesting project and your design is looking great so far. In terms of the rendering style, as you're working digitally you could just do both versions of you're willing to put in that much time. Whichever you end up going with though I'm sure it'll look great.
    You're right! That may be the perfect project to try different styles! Hmm... I'll end up spending way too much time on this ahah

Quote Originally Posted by Rubikia View Post
    Your texturing is really pleasing to the eye and I really love the thought that you've put into the backstory behind this scroll! The style is really evocative, and I have to agree with wminish that both of your rendering styles sound great and I can't wait to see how it develops!

I do really like the names you've included by the way, 'Orchard of the Eternal-Sun' and 'Conclave of Serenity' make my imagination run wild
    Ahah, I don't know yet if I'll keep them as they really are just placeholders for now. But yes, I do really liek the idea of an heavenly orchard, and maybe its doomed reflection in hells
    Thibaud J.B. - Astral booker of l'Arpenteur
    Cartographer and pathfinder of distant lands
    Website |Artstation Portfolio | Instragram | Reddit
    Tel: (+33)6 13 95 93 78
    Discord: l'Arpenteur#6822