Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2023 Challenge: Mikrenu System

Default February 2023 Challenge: Mikrenu System

I have a bad track record with completing challenge maps but I am confident I can do it this time, after all it's a star system map! How could I not resist I'm also recording my process so that should be an extra precaution to ensure I finish...

My initial idea was a trinary star system, purely for aesthetics. I have no knowledge of how it would really work, but I imagine that what I've plotted would not be possible, but no matter!

This is the basic outline, 20 planets of varying sizes orbiting 3 stars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mikrenu Prison System.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	135219

But my idea was to use this more simplistic rendering of the system as a base to inspire a far more stylised map. I've drawn 20 unique planets and placed them in orbit around stylised stars. None of this is to scale, and I plan on including a lot more images, borders, names and moons around the map as I go.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mikrenu Prison System Stylised.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	135220

The basic idea for the lore is that the planet Mikrenu was a prison planet for a mysterious and oppressive intergalactic organisation, meaning it houses numerous species of differing technology levels, cultures, religions, etc which includes fantasy and sci-fi-type species from my various projects. The planet was eventually forgotten about, and the prison and surrounding worlds were effectively left on their own. A key goal for the peoples on Mikrenu is escaping the confines of the planet and the system and be able to truly regain freedom.

I think on the whole I'm happy with how it's progressing, but I might have to mess around with some line widths in order to get it right.
    Last edited by Rubikia; 02-09-2023 at 12:26 PM.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking cool (and complicated) so far. And good lore; I always love the idea of a planet sinking into barbarism and / or forgetting their technological past after being abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Looking cool (and complicated) so far. And good lore; I always love the idea of a planet sinking into barbarism and / or forgetting their technological past after being abandoned.
    Thank you! I'm going to try and incorporate as much of the 'lore' in the map as I can, potentially with certain megastructures looming in the system from a bygone era.

In the meantime I have revamped the layout into something I find far more visually pleasing and somewhat more interesting as a stylistic representation of a solar system. I felt as though the last one was a bit too close to a traditional system map and I wanted to make it feel less astrologically informed and had more to do with its purpose in-universe. To do this I thought about what are the key bits of information that need to be relayed (stars, planets (and their order), and how the three stars relate to one another) as well as how they would be thought about (potentially as a cosmic organic structure).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mikrenu Prison System Stylised 9-2-2023.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	885.6 KB 
ID:	135226

In the bottom left-hand corner I think I'm going to include a representation of the wider galaxy, the galactic tree which this cosmic leaf inhabits, and I'm racking my brain to think of something neat for the bottom right.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Added more flare around the border and an additional colour to shake things up Also added a look at the Mikrenu's position in the local stellar community which is stylised to look like some sort of cosmic tree.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Mikrenu Prison System Stylised 12-2-2023.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	135254

I'm still struggling to think of what to put in the bottom right. Initially I thought of a pie chart depicting the demographics/the various species that inhabit the planets but I don't really want to use that much text and I think it's a bit too technical for what I have set out to do.

With Mr. D on this, digging the art-deco style and overall layout.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

The way you did the map is really cool. About your question, I thinked about a symbol that represent the system, don't, like a stylized Y?

That's pretty wild and innovative.

I love how unusual this map design is!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Pretty cool and unusual style!

I really love the colors and art deco feel of this piece, it's very unique!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast