Thread: I'm getting better at making maps, any helpful tips for further improvement?

Map I'm getting better at making maps, any helpful tips for further improvement?

Hello, I have been building my homebrew world and created a quick map for a campaign I am running. I decided to revamp it and make it better which I believe I succeeded. I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful tips from more experienced map makers on making maps even better. Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyriel - Updated.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	6.05 MB 
ID:	135347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyriel - OLD.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	861.0 KB 
ID:	135346

It looks good, you can definitely see that you've gotten better!
    In the real world, it's rather rare for a river to split. Because in such situations one path carries more water, the erosion there is also stronger and the branch becomes larger and larger while the other branch eventually dries up.
    But if you want your world to have something like that more often, that's absolutely ok, too.
    Last edited by epson; 02-23-2023 at 09:55 AM. Reason: changed very rare to rather rare

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Default Example

I like the landmasses and I really enjoy your texture usage. The part that still stands out is the reuse of trees. (And don't get me wrong, it is a difficult one to figure out at times, I know personally) Anyway, if the lineart trees are going to look the same, I'd suggest start learning the dodge burn tool.

Make a LAYER above the tree color layer, FILL it with a desaturated grey color that is smack dap in the middle of spectrum, color code: 808080. Put the layer on overlay.

Why make this layer? Then you can practice dodging and burning on that later to your heart's content without messing up your color layer. If you make a mistake that you later want to fix, on the overlay later just again pick the 808080 color and paint over the part you want to change. It is as easy as that.

Tips on Dodging and burning.
    Use low opacity dodging - since it is easy to overexpose on higher opacity.
    Use higher opacity burning - since the dodge/burn tool's burn takes a bit more to throw shadows.

And they sometimes call this tool the noob slayer, so practice practice practice to get the blend of highlights and shadows better.

Hope this helps.

Without basic highs and lows,

Name:	Tree_Example1.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	606.8 KB 
ID:	135876

With basic highs and lows,

Name:	Tree_Example2.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	750.6 KB 
ID:	135877
    ignore the texture on the ground, that is something else entirely. But on the trees, I literally did something in the lines of what I explained up above. Just used a cloudy brush and dodged and burned the Overlay layer.

Some other trees to play with. Free Asset
    btw, what program do you use? If it is gimp, I can give you the brush for the trees in the .png
    Last edited by XCali; 06-17-2023 at 04:19 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19