Thread: [WIP / Advice] World Map Commission

Wip [WIP / Advice] World Map Commission

Hey guild! I'm currently in the final stages of putting together a commissioned world map.

This map is in full colour (I usually work in parchment/sepia style, being hella colourblind I find full-colour maps very intimidating), and I'm just wrapping up the labelling and texturing stage, but something about it just... doesn't feel QUITE right to me. I honestly can't put my finger on it. Maybe texturing techniques I usually use with my parchment maps just aren't working here?

I'm not sure if I'm just thinking about it too much though - perhaps I've just been staring at it for too long, but if anybody has any critiques or suggestions before I send this over for the client to review I would love to hear them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galleia Texture Preview.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	4.98 MB 
ID:	135441

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

I really like it so far. The style is neat and lovely. The icons are great too and the text is nice. The ocean fits great too.

One thing I'm noting is, the mountains seems a bit blurry. Especially contrasted against the icons and text. Maybe that is why it seems off for you. (The trees are fine and grasslands looks fine.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Heyo Arcrane Atlas!

I don't know if my advices would be of any help there, as it is really difficult to judge/guide one's artstyle.
    Those are not critics but leads to consider if you chose to go deeper into rendering, they are just burrowed from my own process

In my opinion, if you would be looking to enhance your map you could try to:
    - Add tonal variations for: coastlines, mountains, deserts, seas
    - Fade your colors to your traditional parchment style as you're going to the borders of your map
    - Make you line colored instead of black (deep brown/red)
    - Make you lines strokes smearing a bit by using outerglows functions or tweaking them with motion blurs
    - Change the color of your outer frame (that is currtenly blue)
    - Add an inner glow rendering for your title

And finally, add a white balance corrective layer and/or filters/aging effects on top of your layers to make everything blend together

I really admire your work, I always loved how smooth and moody it is. Keep up searching and testing!
    Thibaud J.B. - Astral booker of l'Arpenteur
    Cartographer and pathfinder of distant lands
    Website |Artstation Portfolio | Instragram | Reddit
    Tel: (+33)6 13 95 93 78
    Discord: l'Arpenteur#6822

Honestly, I suspect it's mostly the fact that you've been staring at it too long I get that with my maps all the time, especially with commisisions. I think the map looks just fine, and if the client doesn't have any issues, ultimately that's all that really matters. I really love the border and the icons for the cities, and the overall layout of the map is nice and balanced.

I think my only nitpick are some of the labels, the two deserts and Bosvain tundra to be precise. The outer glow on them is a bit more green than it maybe should. The issue is especially strong on the tundra, I'd change the tone of the glow to be more grey than green. I hope this is not too vague - I honestly have no idea how you are able to magic out a colour palette this good despite being colourblind, those labels are literally the only colour related issue that catches my eye. I'm very impressed! I hope that's not an insensitive thing to say.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 03-08-2023 at 08:37 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Like others, I think the map looks good. I think you could definitely call it finished, and if the client is happy, you're done.

If you want to push it a little further, a few things that come to my mind:
    - the colour of the desert seems a little off. I'd suggest making them much lighter and less saturated. More of a creamy yellow, than a pineapple-yellow.
    - it could be a good idea to add some extra texture to some areas. Again, the deserts stand out for being so empty and (frankly) not interesting to look at. Adding some dunes, or a texture that differentiates them (subtly!) from the grasslands might really help. The same could be said of the tundra, but it's less obvious there.
    - there are a lot of places that are empty (eg north of Ogluhk or south of Stockport). It might be a matter of taste, or the client's preference, but I personally think they'd look good with something there - some low hills, some tufts of grass, the occasional stone. Anything that breaks those areas up a little bit. Perhaps just adding roads would also work...

Anyway, looks good.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I honestly have no idea how you are able to magic out a colour palette this good despite being colourblind, those labels are literally the only colour related issue that catches my eye. I'm very impressed! I hope that's not an insensitive thing to say.
    That's not insensitive at all, in fact it's very encouraging - thank you! And thanks for pointing out those labels, I never would have noticed the glows were green.

Quote Originally Posted by l'Arpenteur View Post
    In my opinion, if you would be looking to enhance your map you could try to:
    - Add tonal variations for: coastlines, mountains, deserts, seas
    - Fade your colors to your traditional parchment style as you're going to the borders of your map
    - Make you line colored instead of black (deep brown/red)
    - Make you lines strokes smearing a bit by using outerglows functions or tweaking them with motion blurs
    - Change the color of your outer frame (that is currtenly blue)
    - Add an inner glow rendering for your title
    These are some great tips - thank you! I've taken these on board in my review.

Quote Originally Posted by l'Arpenteur View Post
    I really admire your work, I always loved how smooth and moody it is. Keep up searching and testing!
    I adore your work and your praise means a lot, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    - the colour of the desert seems a little off. I'd suggest making them much lighter and less saturated. More of a creamy yellow, than a pineapple-yellow.
    - it could be a good idea to add some extra texture to some areas. Again, the deserts stand out for being so empty and (frankly) not interesting to look at. Adding some dunes, or a texture that differentiates them (subtly!) from the grasslands might really help. The same could be said of the tundra, but it's less obvious there.
    - there are a lot of places that are empty (eg north of Ogluhk or south of Stockport). It might be a matter of taste, or the client's preference, but I personally think they'd look good with something there - some low hills, some tufts of grass, the occasional stone. Anything that breaks those areas up a little bit. Perhaps just adding roads would also work...
    Wingshaw
    Those desert colours definitely needed changing, I've switched to a more creamy yellow as you suggested and they look much nicer. I don't mind the blank areas too much, there will be a version of this with a hex grid for the client's in-game use that will take care of that issue I think, but from an illustration point of view I agree I could have used some extra bits in those large blank areas. Thanks!

Thank you all for your praise and your critiques - I'll post in Finished Maps when its all done!