Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April/May '23 Lite Challenge: Map a historical portion of your hometown.

Default April/May '23 Lite Challenge: Map a historical portion of your hometown.

April/May '23 Lite Challenge: Map a historical portion of your hometown.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I am going to combine several of the suggestions.
    Map a town or potion of a city that happens to be your hometown and emphasize a portion of the map that has some historical significance.
    Some of you are fortunate to live in towns with significant history but even if you don't, every town has some unique history, even if it is just local history.

Please remember to title each thread: "April/May '23 Lite Challenge: < your title here >"

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper with: ### Latest WIP ###
    (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at voting time, which might hurt your chances. ) Try using the WIP Icon to make it nice and easy.

Please note: If you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up by the picture scrapper
    and it might not be the one you want.

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of May, after which we'll have 3 days of voting. The winner of this challenge will receive a silver compass, you know you need one!

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished, unless you start over from scratch.

DEADLINE: End of day, May 14.

Does the map have to reflect the town as it is today or can it be contemporary with the historical portion that is being emphasised?

For example in my town there's evidence of Iron Age settlements, Anglo-Saxon settlements, there's ruins of a 12th century priory, and the 7th century school where Thomas Paine was educated still exists today. Do I imagine the way things looked in one of those time periods or do I emphasise the location of one (or more) of them on a modern map of the area?
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Oh, there are some megalithic sites near the place where I live. Technically they are a few kilometers outside of town but I'll take my chances on that.
    Edit to add: no, it's too far. I'll think of something else if I want to participate.
    Last edited by Henkmet; 04-21-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkmet View Post
    Oh, there are some megalithic sites near the place where I live. Technically they are a few kilometers outside of town but I'll take my chances on that.
    Edit to add: no, it's too far. I'll think of something else if I want to participate.
    I am sure that as long as the location is considered to be a part of the town, it would be okay to work with. I am considering doing a map of the beach in my hometown area where the highway department, in their infinite wisdom, decided to use dynamite to blow up a dead beached whale back in 1970. While nobody was hurt, a chunk of falling blubber after the explosion caved in the roof of a car, and some chunks landed as far as a quarter mile away. The lesson to be learned here is that the highway department might not have been the best people to handle the situation.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I am sure that as long as the location is considered to be a part of the town, it would be okay to work with. I am considering doing a map of the beach in my hometown area where the highway department, in their infinite wisdom, decided to use dynamite to blow up a dead beached whale back in 1970. While nobody was hurt, a chunk of falling blubber after the explosion caved in the roof of a car, and some chunks landed as far as a quarter mile away. The lesson to be learned here is that the highway department might not have been the best people to handle the situation.
    Okay, you win on grounds of best ridiculous history.

I'm sure the issue has been paved over by now.

Mapping your home town is a pretty specific topic, but that being said, you can map it any way you want, in whatever style you want. So, if you want to map a part of your town the way it was 500 years ago, I think that is fantastic. If the site is a little outside of the town line, go for it. First of all, no one but you is really going to know that little geographical fact and no one else will mind anyway.

Remember, the main reason we have these challenges is to hone your skills and the second reason is to have fun ( or maybe that is the first reason)
    I just want to see as many maps as possible!!
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-24-2023 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkmet View Post
    I'm sure the issue has been paved over by now.
    Ironically, the location has been turned into a memorial park to commemorate the incident. Even more ironically, there was an explosive expert on site when it happened that said they didn't need a half ton of dynamite to accomplish the job and that they were using way too much. Even more ironic than that, it was his car that got crushed by flying blubber. Go figure.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Ironically, the location has been turned into a memorial park to commemorate the incident. Even more ironically, there was an explosive expert on site when it happened that said they didn't need a half ton of dynamite to accomplish the job and that they were using way too much. Even more ironic than that, it was his car that got crushed by flying blubber. Go figure.
    Ahhh, Irony is such a wonderful thing!

All this time I thought you meant Florence, as in Firenze, in Italy

I heard about that incident on a podcast and the way it was told was way more crazy than when I read it. That would make a great newspaper article map
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast