Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twitter

Default Twitter

I was wondering for those that use Twitter, is there any incentive to use it as an artist/map maker?
    Do you get something positive from the platform, like commissions?

I've got a few commissions from Twitter, yes. Enough to make it worth enduring Twitter? Maybe.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Absolutely, Twitter can be a valuable platform for artists and map makers. It's a great place to showcase your work, connect with fellow creators, and potentially secure commissions. Many artists use Twitter to gain visibility and reach a broader audience.

Over the years, I have gotten work from Deviantart [way back] and from here on the Guild.
    I can't say I have gotten any work from the social media sites, per se, though I have connected with a lot of people in the industry from being on them.
    The best results I have had are from artstation.
    I'm still on twitter, but there are a lot of people who claim they are leaving any day now.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'm still on twitter, but there are a lot of people who claim they are leaving any day now.
    ...just like people say they're moving to Canada if Candidate X becomes President.

X, formerly known as Twitter, is a great way to build a community for someone who cannot build one in person. I don't know of any other social media platform that could help someone aspiring to do just that. Unless you're an artist, in that case, I know two big platforms. However, I am a writer and X is the only place to go for me if I do not want to spend money and amass a following.

Twitter was usable until elmo took over and changed everything. You used to be able to heavily curate your feed, avoid the rage bait stuff, and follow people/build an audiance. I did get people interested in commissions although I don't really do them.

But now it's all a mess. I see a lot less people with shared interests posting - pretty much all activity in mapping, ttrpg stuff, etc is down generally in my experience. Also the blue checks who paid for their megaphone get boosted for everything and it just results in spam/bs posts. I ended up just deleting all my artwork from the site.

It was always a platform with issues in the first place, but now it's on the tail end of complete en****tification with an idiot owner who got stuck buying it after one of his cocaine binges or whatever.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Twitter was usable until elmo took over and changed everything. You used to be able to heavily curate your feed, avoid the rage bait stuff, and follow people/build an audiance. I did get people interested in commissions although I don't really do them.

But now it's all a mess. I see a lot less people with shared interests posting - pretty much all activity in mapping, ttrpg stuff, etc is down generally in my experience. Also the blue checks who paid for their megaphone get boosted for everything and it just results in spam/bs posts. I ended up just deleting all my artwork from the site.

It was always a platform with issues in the first place, but now it's on the tail end of complete en****tification with an idiot owner who got stuck buying it after one of his cocaine binges or whatever.
    Ditto (and more signs to go over ten)

Ditto ditto. Agree with all Larb says.

I don't think I'd waste my time now if I were new to Twitter as, unless you pay the monthly fee, you may not gain much traction. Blue checks are given priority regardless of the nonsense some of them spout.

There are a few Twitter alternatives knocking around, though none of them look like becoming the clear winner (yet) with mass adoption. It might be better to focus your energy on a more art/design focused site like Art Station or Behance or Instagram.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post

Follower counts have been completely erratic too, it's a real mess. Then there's the blue check marks omg, they put every trending word in their posts so the timeline looks terrible from their spam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast