Thread: Best city mapping software???

Blog Entries

Question Best city mapping software???

Hello! I've never made a digital version of a city before and there's a giant city in a novel I'm working on that I want to map out. I can of course just make some basic sketches, but there's all these map making apps out there so I want to give it a try.

Problem is, I don't know which software is the best for cities. It seems like most of them focus on buildings/dungeons, and large region/world maps.

Does anyone have a recommendation for mapping cities?

Thanks!

It really depends on what you are looking for. Are you trying to generate road networks? Do you want city building assets/brushes? The style of city map which you are looking for will also dictate what you need to some degree.

I believe Campaign Cartographer and Inkarnate have city mapping features, though I haven't used either. Many people use wonderdraft for cities as well even thought it isn't designed for that purpose. Personally, since I don't use many pre-created assets or brushes, I prefer to work in Gimp since that give me a ton of flexibility, but obviously it is not specifically designed for mapping.

If you are looking for something to generate a random city, you could try RPG City Mapmaker (available through www.rpglibrary.com). It isn't super high tech so to speak, but it might get you headed in the right direction. There is other software out there as well if you do a search, and some websites that will generate something you can download/save that will likely pop up if you do a search for "random city generator."

And that is actually www.rpglibrary.org
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-23-2023 at 08:46 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    If you are looking for something to generate a random city, you could try RPG City Mapmaker (available through www.rpglibrary.com). It isn't super high tech so to speak, but it might get you headed in the right direction. There is other software out there as well if you do a search, and some websites that will generate something you can download/save that will likely pop up if you do a search for "random city generator."
    If we want a random generator, the watabou generators are great as well.