Thread: Help making this satellite map available with GPS navigation and offline

Help Help making this satellite map available with GPS navigation and offline

Hello,

I recently find this orthophotography map of a nearby provincial park and would love to use it for GPS navigation offline. It seems to be created with arcGIS and it also seems to be quite open source for public use. I'm wondering how I can load it into an app on my phone for offline gps navigation? Any tips or apps that could do this?

Blog Entries

If the map has been ortho-rectified such that it is square and points north then its a very simple math operation to find the point within the map once you have been given the GPS coordinates and with a little programming you can get a browser to show the image and put an icon on top where you are.

If your looking for something which can draw lines and tracks on top from where you have been or set waypoints then a full app is better. I used to run OziExplorer but this was years and years ago and they advertise that they have been running for more than 25 years. But it worked well for me at the time when I had a hand held Garmin.

Hopefully some other will comment more PC & phone apps you can load a map image into and get plots on top of it from a GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If the map has been ortho-rectified such that it is square and points north then its a very simple math operation to find the point within the map once you have been given the GPS coordinates and with a little programming you can get a browser to show the image and put an icon on top where you are.

If your looking for something which can draw lines and tracks on top from where you have been or set waypoints then a full app is better. I used to run OziExplorer but this was years and years ago and they advertise that they have been running for more than 25 years. But it worked well for me at the time when I had a hand held Garmin.

Hopefully some other will comment more PC & phone apps you can load a map image into and get plots on top of it from a GPS.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to find a way to access the image data as when I view the map source all I can download are very small tiles of the main image. Once I have the image files I'll need to find an app that will let me add GPS points to the map image.

Blog Entries

If the map is really huge then often maps are broken up into tiles. If the map has a zoom capability then often you have zoom level tiles as well. Although more tricky, its possible to set up web pages to pan and zoom those tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If the map is really huge then often maps are broken up into tiles. If the map has a zoom capability then often you have zoom level tiles as well. Although more tricky, its possible to set up web pages to pan and zoom those tiles.
    So I have access to the 1km Index (Shapefile) https://geohub.lio.gov.on.ca/documen...tography/about

I used OpenJump to open the index file and there are no images displayed - just a grid. Any suggestions?