Thread: Advice wanted for map border

Help Advice wanted for map border

this is for a pen and paper map that i plan to use water color paints on, but im stuck on how i should color the border. i have been trying various things digitally but nothing really looks right.
    below are 3 variants of the border.

orig sketch
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Border test org.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	135647

"wooden" frame

Name:	border test.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	7.60 MB 
ID:	135648

ocean continues behind

Name:	border test 2.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	8.22 MB 
ID:	135649

white frame

Name:	border test 3.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	7.18 MB 
ID:	135650

What mood/feeling so you want to convey with your map? The border is there to express or help convey the theme and mood.
    View my website and Instagram

this is a very broad strokes world map labeling only the land masses and oceans, when i started it i wasn't thinking about it conveying anything but "this is the world Nuvis". plus im not not that great an artist so the border needs to be simple so i can draw it.

It also depends how you're coloring the map itself. Once you answer that for yourself I'd recommend looking at other examples online with similar color schemes of maps and see what other people did with their borders. That may help you figure out what direction you want to take.

this was the small scale practice map i did, i plan to use similar/same colors

Name:	Sketch2.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	7.52 MB 
ID:	135658

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BluePhoenix175 View Post
    this was the small scale practice map i did, i plan to use similar/same colors

Name:	Sketch2.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	7.52 MB 
ID:	135658
    1. Think in terms of scale. On the small scale practice map, your decorative border crowds the overall visual, drawing the eye away from the land masses contained on your map. Thus, rather than accent the core work, the border actually detracts from it.

2. Your decorative border is an exercise in decorative minimalism. Meager decorative flourishes will tend to underwhelm the eye. Sometimes, less is more, but not here.

3. Part of the problem on display here is your chosen color palette. Such bright, garish colors assail the eye. All of that yellow/gold jars the eye. If your intent is to retain these colors, you might want to consider thinning the rings of your border.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePhoenix175 View Post
    this is for a pen and paper map that i plan to use water color paints on, but im stuck on how i should color the border. i have been trying various things digitally but nothing really looks right.
    below are 3 variants of the border.

orig sketch

Name:	Border test org.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	135647

"wooden" frame

Name:	border test.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	7.60 MB 
ID:	135648

ocean continues behind

Name:	border test 2.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	8.22 MB 
ID:	135649

white frame

Name:	border test 3.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	7.18 MB 
ID:	135650
    4. With regard to the images posted in your first posting in this thread, you really might want to reconsider your resort to color. There's a reason why you feel that nothing really looks right. A sizeable portion of why that is so is likely due to color issues, as much as anything else.

5. You might want to consider increasing the width of the interior line of your border. Relative to the exterior line of the border, it doesn't provide sufficiently strong visual contrast.

Thanks for the help everyone.

GrimFinger- i had already finished the border by the time you replied, so i will be keeping in mind your advice for future maps

i will be posting the finished version (in its own thread) when its finished, but for now this is what i did for the border.

Name:	NuvisBorder.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	7.26 MB 
ID:	135753