Thread: April/May '23 Lite Challenge: Kuala Lumpur Mines - then and now

Wip April/May '23 Lite Challenge: Kuala Lumpur Mines - then and now

Kuala Lumpur started as a mining settlement. One of the largest mines, Hong Fatt, holds some record as deepest or largest open mining pit. Mining ceased in 1988 after which time the pits were filled with water and the area redeveloped for recreation, a resort, golf course etc. I'll try to combine the old (somewhere between 1974 and 198 and new (openstreetmap) and will try to figure out a way to show which parts changed vs didn't change since then.
    WIP zero is just the two maps overlaid with some transparency.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip0.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	135657

Welcome to the challenge Henkmet!! Thanks for getting us started.

Wip

Background, a mixture of one of Mouse's parchments and one of their backgrounds. Hue changed to my taste. Mostly all historical things blocked in with the river and lakes in their modern shape added in lighter blue. Amazing how the river changed its course. The lakes follow the mining pits (thin stripes) pretty well. I think I will adjust the pit area on the left to border the new course of the river; that seems reasonable and even if not, it suits me.

I now need to consider how much detail I want to transfer from OSM. All the smaller roads probably not or just as single pixel lines to avoid overcrowding. I have very little clue of what I'm doing, so I'll take any tips/comments/criticisms you may be willing to offer.

(the 'banding' in the striped areas is a resolution effect. Not sure whether that will go away if I eventually increase the resolution?)

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip1.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	771.1 KB 
ID:	135660

Wip

Didn't have time to do anything today but I hadn't uploaded yesterday's progress, so here goes. Roads and river in two colours; darker for old, lighter for new. Built-up area indicated with some indescribable colour. Need to add the minor roads in those (I tried to shortcut by selecting white on the OSM layer but that misses too much. 200 paths, here I come). A legenda will be badly needed so I think I'll make it by the side of the map. That would also push the border away from the scale bar.

I scaled up the image to have 2000px width. Should have started with that as now some things become slightly fuzzy when zoomed in. Not ging to start over for it, though.

Comments still welcome.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip2.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	4.04 MB 
ID:	135684

Good update!

Wip

Drawing a few roads can take so much time ...
    But I think the map is essentially done. except for perhaps a border. I haven't decided whether I want one and if, what it should look like.
    The background to the legend is the same parchment by mouse that I also used to mix the map background.
    Any comment, positive or negative, welcome.
    ETA: Oh, I just realise there's track for the airport shuttle missing as well as the new metro that opened just weeks ago. Guess I'm not done then.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	wip3.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	6.77 MB 
ID:	135694
    Last edited by Henkmet; 05-04-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Oooh this is very nice. I like it.

Roads can be as simple as stroking paths and then bloody annoying when it doesn't work quite as wanted
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Thanks for the kind words! Somehow simply stroking (in GIMP) seems to work only on a single path. After merging paths, I had to do path to selection, grow selection and then stroke. At least I didn't have to stroke every line individually.
    I must have cocked something up somewhere anyway, I can select areas but they're just filled with transparency. If I want to work on a layer, I have to duplicate it, copy it over to another image, do what needs doing and copy it back.