View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite map.

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kuala Lumpur Mines - then and now by Henkmet

4 57.14%
  • Boudicca's Temple by Straf

4 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VOTING TIME April/May '23 Lite Challenge: Map a historical portion of your hometown.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Sure - if I can get this forum software to accommodate it.

I am trying to include 3 images, with two of them being the same image, but at different sizes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	135762 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	529.3 KB 
ID:	135763 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	445.1 KB 
ID:	135764

Can you see the difference, now, Henkmet?

Ah, the hashings don't show/can't be differentiated at low res. I should probably use different patterns and not make them so fine. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think I'll be allowed to update the map once voting is over and submit it to completed maps? In that case I will also 'solve' the empty space issue by placing an explanatory text in the panel.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henkmet View Post
    Ah, the hashings don't show/can't be differentiated at low res. I should probably use different patterns and not make them so fine. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think I'll be allowed to update the map once voting is over and submit it to completed maps? In that case I will also 'solve' the empty space issue by placing an explanatory text in the panel.
    You could also just make the Legenda bigger. After all, it isn't as though there's not sufficient space to increase the size of it, without forcing you to change anything on the map, itself.

Just over a half a day left to the voting time. If you haven't voted, now is your chance!!
    Last edited by Bogie; 05-19-2023 at 02:24 AM.

Hey Henkmet congratulations on your first silver compass. I hope many more follow this one. Actually two more because you can only have three. But you can get as many gold ones as you like so I hope you get as many as Diamond.

I really do like your map as it's clean and nicely laid out. I do have a few things to point out though. One thing that stands out is the roads. Some of them have had the blur filter applied but some are very much still blocky. I think you can group layers in GIMP now. I don't know if you can apply filters to the whole group or if you still have to apply them layer by layer. I did the latter using a list for each layer. Yeah some analogue stuff going on. It's just a pain in the arse having to undo it all when you're posting a WIP. The other thing was the hashing - you used horizontal lines for one area then used horizontal lines for another area albeit different widths and distances between. Convention would use a different orientation before using a different distance between lines. For example horizontal, vertical, diagonal forward, diagonal back. Then dots, + signs, anything unambiguous would work.

I hope we face up again in the future. This has been quite good fun. Thanks to Bogie for running this again.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Thanks Straf. I think we both get a compass as we are tied with 4 votes each, so congratulations to you too. I really like your map, though for me the faded ordinance map appears a little too faded.

Thanks for your helpful comments! I was too lazy with the patterns and used what is immediately available in GIMP, which is two different densities of horizontal hashings. If my layers are still separated, I'll see if I can just rotate the map 90 degrees before filling the second area with the pattern. The different blur in the roads is likely because I started working at a lower resolution, then increased it halfway, which made the older elements blurry. I will steal your idea of using the side bar to give some explanatory note and, when not too lazy, post it up eventually in finished maps. Even if I don't, I feel I have learned something, which makes it worth it.

If we keep up tieing, we can square off twice more in the lite challenge before going for gold. Finally, thanks Bogie for running this. It really was the theme set that got me working on this.

Blog Entries

I didn't vote because I just could not pick a winner. So very glad you both won that one. Well done.

Congratulations to both Straf and Henkmet!!! I am glad that you both get your first Compass!!!

The next challenge will run from mid June until mid July.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12