Thread: Greetings from a long-time (occasional) lurker!

Post Greetings from a long-time (occasional) lurker!

Hello everyone,

As I have decided to take mapping a bit more seriously recently, I decided I might as well show what I am creating to other enthusiasts. While I am usually creating (mostly boring) real world maps for sciency purposes, I enjoy the creative process of altering real-world geography in order to show hidden features.
    One map I have semi-finished, meaning I can’t be bothered right now to correct the aspects continuing to bother me, is a marine chart of a landlocked region. The mapped bay is where Vienna (capital of Austria) ought to be, but with sea levels increased by 250 meters. I got inspired by marine charts for sailing purposes I handled a few weeks ago. Tools used are: QGIS (digital elevation data), Inkscape (fonts and linework), Krita (corrections, colour management, touch up).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marine Chart Low.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	6.41 MB 
ID:	135788

Welcome.
    This is awesome, I really like it.
    One thing if you ever come back it, it would be great to see land elevations in different colours, but as a marine map I think it is a well executed piece of work.
    Last edited by Voolf; 05-29-2023 at 07:33 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Thank you for the kind words.
    I was emulating a particular style of map, where land elevations are only denominated by contour lines, so I decided to stick with that style. From the charts I saw, only very prominent features have elevation labels, when they are useful for navigation. As I am no sailor, I can only assume, that the creators of marine charts want to avoid overcluttering and increase legibility.