Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gimp Script: Hex Grid

Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    While this script is very much excellent - am I wondering why it often produces stupid-sized files ? (I mean like, gig-sized files from 640x640 files)

While the placement process may be intensive, the end result is basically a bunch of lines - what am I not understanding/doing wrong ?
    Sorry - I am not sure what you mean... The image size is the image size, it does not create a "new" image.

-Rob A>

Sorry for the poor wording.

I'll go with an example : I took a fairly small image and added a hex grid. The file size went from ~156k to over 1,2g.

I thought it might be because the "paths" were left behind or something, but the script does appear to delete them after tracing the lines.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

That could be some residual history with all the deletes and stuff. Are they still that size after you close them?

Actually, I just ran a quick test and the script DOES add quite a bit of memory ( test went from 7.4mb to 437mb for a 676 × 436 image at 150 ppi) to the working file. Clearing the history got the size back down to 7.6mb. I would suggest that placing the grid be done as a first thing after opening the document or after a save in order to make sure that you do not clear something that you might want to backtrack on. I am not sure if you can delete specific actions from the history.....
    Last edited by Korash; 08-03-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: added test results
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Aah! Memory usage, not filesize. Thanks Korash, now I understand.

That can be fixed, as I've done it for other scripts I've written, I just never considered this one to be that memory intense.

-RobA>

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Amazing feature, fits perfectly. Thank you!

Rob - Hex grid is Great Thank You!!!

Can the script be modified (or is there already one) to only do 2 edges? so you would basically have
    \
    /
    \
    /
    \
    /
    but the edges would be clean and rounded?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	65697

Default Revisit Hex Overlay Script

Hello there! I know it's been a long time since anyone posted about this script, but I just stumbled across this today. I'm using Gimp 2.8, and the script works fine. However, in the options, it is not possible to go thinner than 1 with the line width. Like, .5 or something. In my experience, the lines are a bit too thick, even at 1. I adjusted the offset to .5 each, and it was a little better, but I am looking for very thin lines, much like you see on a printed hex map.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

James

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    This post asked about drawing hex grids in Gimp.

I posted a quick and dirty hex script there, but have cleaned it up and added more features.

I shows up as Filters->Render->Pattern->Hex Grid... (which is the same sub-menu as the existing grid script).

This script works on the current layer/drawable to be consistent with the way the normal grid plugin works.

Here is the dialog:
    Attachment 12813

The options are:

Element to Specify - is either the length of one side, the distance from point to point (equals the horizontal center to center in a horizontal oriented hex grid) or side to side (equals the vertical center to center in a horizontal oriented hex grid).
    Length of Element - the length in pixels of the above item.
    Hex Orientation - Horizontal or Vertical
    Line width - the width of the stroke
    Horizontal and Vertical offsets - when zero the first grid is tight in the upper left hand corner, with the stroke half off the edge. So for example, if you set it to a 1 pixel line width, you might want to change the corresponding offset to 0.5 so the lines are drawn lined up with the pixels and don't get aliased.
    Color - colour of the hex grid, spelling the American way

Just a note that the grid dimensions and offsets are always to the center of the lines, so if you run the script again with a different colour and a thinner line width you can get some neat effects:
    Attachment 12814

Hope this is useful. Suggestions on improvements or general comments and criticisms welcome.

-Rob A>

For me, using the latest version of GIMP, 2.8.14, the grid lines are very thick. When set to 1px, it's actually 8px wide.

I've used this script for years now, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Pretty simple script, though. Just noticed the issue in the last couple versions of GIMP.

Blog Entries

gimp 2.6 started moving AWAY from the GTK api and using the NEW gegl api
    - this was the start of the FULL REWRITE of the program

with 2.8 gegl is being used for most things

when gimp 2.10 ( or 3.0 ) is released it will no longer use the old gtk code for making a image
    - no gtk drawable
    - everything ported to GEGL

this rewrite can mess up scripts that use the older gtk api

for hex grids i use the G'Mic gimp plugin
    http://gmic.eu/

BUT
    there is a temp hack workaround
    edit line 120 of the script
    Code:
      (gimp-brush-set-radius brushTemp (/ inStroke 2))
    ------ to this ------
      (gimp-brush-set-radius brushTemp (/ inStroke 10))
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks a lot, John! I really appreciate it! I edited the script as you recommended and it worked like a charm. I also downloaded G'Mic for GIMP. I'll take a look at it when I next GIMP around.

Thanks again!

I hope RobA doesn't mind, but I'm uploading an unofficial version 1.1.1. All credit to RobA and to johnvanvliet for the fix.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast