Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758 LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I finally took the plunge and bought my first 'real' tablet (I had an ancient Bamboo years ago, but it sucked) - a Huion Kamvas 13. It was a pain in the a$$ to set up, but this thing is flat out amazing. Lightweight, plenty of screen space, and the distance between the writing surface and the actual screen is so tiny that it really looks like pen on paper.

Well worth the money.

Heard good things about the Huion's, been looking at them for a while. How does it feel to use? Because it looks like that is it close to the feeling of pen on paper?

The feeling is almost like drawing with pen on paper. I just need to experiment to see what feels more natural, using the easel that came with it or just laying it flat on my desk. So far, for drawing coastlines (which is all I've done so far on the first map with it), the easel works better. But when it comes to drawing mountains and forests it may be better laying flat. We'll see. But the experience is pretty seamless, to me it's like just drawing on paper. The screen has a great matte finish on it too, so there's no surface glare. It has the look of a Kindle Paperwhite to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The feeling is almost like drawing with pen on paper. I just need to experiment to see what feels more natural, using the easel that came with it or just laying it flat on my desk. So far, for drawing coastlines (which is all I've done so far on the first map with it), the easel works better. But when it comes to drawing mountains and forests it may be better laying flat. We'll see. But the experience is pretty seamless, to me it's like just drawing on paper. The screen has a great matte finish on it too, so there's no surface glare. It has the look of a Kindle Paperwhite to it.
    Bit the bullet and got one too. And I'm having a similar experience. I'm liking it so far. Whats surprising to me is it's actually very different than using just a normal no-display tablet.

I've had to disable the buttons on the stylus because my un-nimble fingers insist on hitting one of them and deleting some huge swath that I just got done drawing. Grr. But that's my fault, not the stylus.

I'm working with Clip Studio Paint and it seems to go well on first set up, the lower button switches to eraser while pressed and I like using it like that (although if just pressed and then let go it switches the tool entirely to eraser instead of temporarily a setting which is very annoying and I have to dig out and change), the upper button does colour pick which is the same as it was on the intous and which I also use all the time. I do find myself hitting the lower one accidentally a fair amount though, hopefully I'll get used to it and stop doing that. I quite like having it on a tilt as opposed to flat on the table like I had my Intous, far more like actual drawing that way.

One thing I want to do is have my second monitor mirroring the tablet and I'm hoping to set that up once I find an appropriate cable (my GPU only has one hdmi port the rest are display ports and I think a vga port).

Does anyone have experience with any Apple drawing tablets? I've been using a Wacom Intuos with my laptop that's kind of just good enough to run photoshop, but the battery for the laptop is on the way out. I'm thinking of downsizing to a more basic laptop and then getting a dedicated display tablet and using using maybe Procreate, especially since this is more of a hobby than a job for me. Alternative would be to replace the laptop battery and keep plugging away with what I have. Cost effective in the long run? Procreate ease of use? Would love to hear thoughts!

Default Tablet Advice

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I'm currently considering buying a tablet to switch to for doing all my graphic and 3D "art" (I use quotes as it is a far cry from being worthy of the title), and I'm hoping to get some good advice and tips regarding the idea.

I've heard nothing but good things regarding using a tablet and so I'm pretty much sold on the idea however I am curious about a couple bad things I've heard that makes a mouse sound better.
    • The stylus wears out within a years time of use.
      If you don't get the right size tablet for your needs it will frustrate you.
      They are very expensive.
      If you don't have the right calibration software they won't work right.

In addition I've heard that Wacom is "The" only tablet you should consider buying.

Now I actually have some experience with a tablet, but it used a puck not a stylus and I was using this full time as an AutoCAD draftsman for an engineering company. However this was a very specialized application and tablet and wasn't a stylus so I don't feel it is entirely accurate for my analysis.

So, what can folks tell me about the points and comments above, and does anyone know of any great deals out there that I might be able to take advantage of?

EDIT: I just wanted to mention a couple things as I've seen a couple posts directed at me. You'll notice that this thread was started many years ago. I bought an Wacom Intous a few years ago based on comments from back then. Please feel free to continue commenting on this thread to help others that may have similar questions. In fact, I've posted to this thread a few times in the past about various deals and specials that I've found. There are also some great pointers scattered throughout the comments about what to look for when you decide to get a tablet yourself.

Illustrator who does a decent amount of digital art here!
    I'm not sure about others, but I agree Wacom is awesome. I had mine and it lasted about 7 years. The only reason I got rid of it was because I got a new computer and the USB converter on it was weird, so it wasn't responding to the new laptop. It was a cintiq, which was super useful since drawing directly on the screen was so helpful. Now I'm using an ipad pro with an apple pencil/Procreate, and it's super useful. If you do more illustrated style maps I highly recommend it.

Wow! Blast from the past. Nearly 16 years ago. How the time flies. I guess I can give an update on my Wacom. It is still going strong and I still use it fairly regularly. I'm on my third computer since back then and the tablet still works and does everything it promised to do when I got it. The thing is a workhorse. As for the stylus, they are all still working perfectly. I've worn out two tips over all these years, which either speaks to the quality of the tips, or my lack of pressing hard, not sure. All my initial concerns were invalidated other than perhaps the expense. I would love to get a Cintiq, to streamline some of the input from time to time, but honestly I'm so use to using it indirectly that it isn't a big deal for me.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Lol, that's some proper post necromancy right there!

All my initial concerns were invalidated other than perhaps the expense. I would love to get a Cintiq, to streamline some of the input from time to time, but honestly I'm so use to using it indirectly that it isn't a big deal for me.
    After that many years of using it, I'd imagine you are so used to it that a Cintiq would almost take more effort to learn, having to overcome such a long time of muscle memory

Don't get me wrong, I love my Cintiq and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I'm also one of those people who tried a Bamboo for less than a year before completely giving up on it. My brain just couldn't crack it. My body's coordination is a joke. Not even a dumb and fun kind of joke, just a bad and pathetic kind.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758 LastLast