Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Online Map Libraries (Real World Cartography)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was looking up reference material on Chateau de Chenonceaux and Chateau de Fontainebleau because I wanted to use them as base images for some sketch up work to ultimately use as a brush when I found this:

http://www.greatbuildings.com/cgi-bi...178/2.70004/17

This really gave me some insight into trees, farms, roofs, and general layouts. When I got to the Eiffel Tower I took a trip downstream (or was it upstream) to get some insight into riverbanks. By the way, why is it roofs and not rooves like it is with hoof/hooves?

Anywho, ciao 4 now

I don't know if I should link this or not- it's the alt. history forum's blank map collection. If any of the other guys see this and object, I'll certainly take it down.

In the meanwhile: http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/dok..._map_directory

Also the basic resources index has a lot of other links to map sites.

Link A few hunderd Icelandic Maps

Digitised maps from the National and University Library of Iceland.

EDIT: English Link is in the top right corner.

Start Page
    Map Page

All antique maps of Iceland (older than 1900) that are in the collections of the National and University Library of Iceland and the Central Bank of Iceland have been converted to a digital format and are accessible here. A short historical description in Icelandic and English is available for most of the maps. They are based on the book Kortasaga Ķslands (A history of cartography of Iceland) by Haraldur Siguršsson.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those are cool Gorka, thanks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise World Digital Library

This is a very slick site and they seem to be digitizing a lot of documents (not just maps) from all over the world.

http://www.wdl.org/en/

The map viewing interface is all fancy but the maps are really good and well organized. You can download them as tifs.

Its well worth a look.

Here's a selection of just maps.

http://www.wdl.org/en/search/gallery?ql=eng&ty=Maps

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West-Indies-1774.png 
Views:	630 
Size:	913.4 KB 
ID:	12685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West-Indies-1774C.png 
Views:	2801 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	12689  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-22-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    By the way, why is it roofs and not rooves like it is with hoof/hooves?

Anywho, ciao 4 now
    Because English, be it American or British, it one of the most stupid and contradictory languages ever developed.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Because English, be it American or British, it one of the most stupid and contradictory languages ever developed.
    Of all of the other more logical and easy languages in the world we could have chosen, as a 'world language' we got English. History can be cruel. Reminds me of Geoge Bernard Shaw's fish which he said should be spelled 'ghoti' "gh" as in "cough", "o" as in "women", "ti" as in "nation".

I hate this language, has many TH ¬¬
    joke.
    the same with the Portuguese, for example: In Portugal queue is said "Bicha", but in Brazil we say "fila" because here "Bicha" means homosexual.
    Last edited by joćo paulo; 04-24-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast