Thread: Eyria Map (n00b requesting tips)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking at your biome map, I have no idea where the equator would be located. Is it supposed to be the red line?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Filipe Passos-Coelho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Looking at your biome map, I have no idea where the equator would be located. Is it supposed to be the red line?
    hm, not exactly, no. That line does indicate the warmest part on this map:
    - the top yellow part is very cold. it does help that you have quite tall mountains, so you will have Alpine arctic there (himalayas style).
    - between yellow line and red is temperate, with precipitation being a bigger factor in the type of climate and fauna/flora (followed by height or nonexistence of Mountain ranges). Flatter areas have more deciduous and grass-style biomes, and comfortably warmer weather (more Mediterranean countries). Higher regions, or close to mountains will be more coniferous and boreal in nature (Germany, Poland, North USA/South Canada). The Mountains also help to keep a more humid (aka UK/Scotland constantly wet feel) environment.
    - Below red is proper oven temperature. The more inland, the worse, because of lack of surface water and the continental climate effect (Gobi desert, Arabic desert). When closer to the ocean, there's much more rain, due to evaporation (countries in the gulf of Guinea). In some areas, like the big jungle West near Manthos agaria, the mountains help keep that region quite drenched (think Central American forests of Guatemala, San Salvador, Colombia); the big jungle East (called wetlands) is filled with rivers, bogs, swamps and wetlands, which makes guarantees you always have your feet and your head wet (think Amazon, Indonesia). Plants tend to be more Mangrove like, with several vines and parasitic ones lashed on them.

Keep in mind there's plenty more if we go North, South, West and East. in a way, Eyria is like a Middle Earth, but the locals have no clue or interest to find out if there is more beyond these (perceived) boundaries. it's like during the Middle Ages: before the Portuguese, Spanish and Dutch started sailing off from Europe, most people though the world was on a plate surrounded by water. Eyrians in their vast majority think the world is flat, and that they are basically floating on a fast sea, somehow "nailed" in place.

Does that make sense or help?

EDIT: I absolutely L-O-V-E your questions, they make me think, do reality checks, and that's great. It forces me to reevaluate things and make it more bulletproof, so thank you for them.
    I would like to invite you to visit my fantasy project Tales of Eyria. Looking forward to meeting you and discussing this passion of mine and this vibrant world! www.talesofeyria.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/TalesOfEyria/