Thread: How do I not get these strange holes in temperature when using FT3

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Default How do I not get these strange holes in temperature when using FT3

I am using FT3 to start my next world. right now I am setting the temperature. I select an area, starting at the equator and use the global set tool to set teh temperature. I then go out from there incrementally lowering the temperature. I've done this before and haven't had any problems. This time however south the equator I am getting holes which have much lower temperatures then there should be.

Why is this happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT3 Temperature 01.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	106765  

Even without the holes, this is a very odd temperature distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Even without the holes, this is a very odd temperature distribution.
    ok. How is it odd?

The temperatures increase abruptly near the tropics and then become uniform going toward the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    The temperatures increase abruptly near the tropics and then become uniform going toward the equator.
    I didn't finish changing the the temps to teh gradual drop from the equator because of the weird holes

I have never seen anything like those holes before. Is it one particular map or is this a general problem with any map?

The black areas are of far more concern to me, though. What altitude shows on the status bar at the bottom of the window when you put your mouse cursor over one of the black areas?

Try using Tools>>Actions>>Normalize Data to see if the black spots go away.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I have never seen anything like those holes before. Is it one particular map or is this a general problem with any map?

The black areas are of far more concern to me, though. What altitude shows on the status bar at the bottom of the window when you put your mouse cursor over one of the black areas?

Try using Tools>>Actions>>Normalize Data to see if the black spots go away.
    I haven't tested to see if any other maps have the problem but the last map I did I did the same thing with temperature moving out from the equator and had no problems.

I apologize, The black squares are an image overlay I placed strictly for the purpose of measuring for placing the temperature strips

I tried to attached the fcw file for you, but even zipped it is too big

I'm glad to hear that the black spots weren't anything unexpected. I've had bugs that manifest in that way and I am very glad to hear that they aren't back.

One way to get the sort of effect that you're looking for in just a few steps is to select an area, feather the selection, then set your value. The smoothing of the selection will spread the value out a bit. You can also achieve the sort of result with an unfeathered selection along the equator, global raise value, deselect, smooth, reselect, and repeat the set/deselect/raise/smooth loop until you get a nice effect. Or paint a grayscale image with your desired distribution using something like Photoshop or paint, load that image using Select>>Load Selection, and then global set the value through that mask.