Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2018 Challenge: The Fallesten Gorge Underbridge

Default August 2018 Challenge: The Fallesten Gorge Underbridge

Ok, so the idea is that the dwarfs have an underpath running through the mountains and they built this bridge to span a river where the way passes from this side of a mountain over the gorge into a mountain on the other side (for the dwarfs I guess it's kind of the opposite of what a tunnel is for us, now that I think of it). It also allows entrance into the underpath from a road running along the north side of the river.

I intend to get one component done first but I was thinking of a few things for the passage of time part of the map. The original piece will be the newly built bridge connecting the underpath, which leads from the main dwarf settlements to the north to a few trading outposts they have in the Rive valleys. Originally I was thinking the bridge in two different seasons, summer and winter because I could do it when the waters is frozen etc. But then I was thinking what if I took a scene much later on in the bridges life. So I think what I'll do is this. The bridge after the dwarfs let if fall into disuse once the Squeens rose up in the Rive valley and killed or enslaved all sapient creatures. The Dwarfs held to forts for a while but those too fell as it was a long and mostly pointless supply chain to keep them up, and it was bound to fail eventually. So the forts fell and were enwebed by the squeens. Subsequently since this branch of the underpath was no longer used, the bridgefort was invaded by dark beings and plague dwellers. And this is the time at which I'll depict the second scene of the bridge.

No real wips yet but here's where I'm at:
    The orig sketch
    Sketch01.png
    Where I'm at with this bridge
    Progress001.png
    And my inspiration board
    ideaboardJPG.jpg

Progress so far, just been slowly adding details. I brought in an old standardized dorf boat and put a model dwarf on the bridge deck as well for reference (I think they stand at a meter and 20 centimeters tall).

Progress002.png
    insideshot01.png
    Unfortunately my computer crashes if I try and actually render them with cycles so I'm prob going to do most updates in the viewport render of the top pic. I've set up my second old computer to help with real renders once I get that far (provided I don't solve the problem, I think it may be motherboard related but it's really just a guess, (or rather I'm hoping it's motherboard and not the cpu)).

I really like this concept. The modeling looks to be going well, I can't wait to see the final map.

I hope you fix your computer issues, I had that on a challenge last winter and it just makes it a much bigger challenge. Good Luck!

Looks very promising!

Guild Apprentice

That is extremely impressive. Good job. I love the architectural concept.

Thank you guys!

So I got my old rig up and running and was able to do some actual rendered images of my progress:
    ProgressRender01.png
    ProgressRender02.png

Progress in this lonely challenge:
    (Guess I might as well WIP it)#Removed Wip Tag#
    ProgressRender03.jpg
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.

WIP it! WIP it Good!

Splendid bridge! And I like the water reflection effect.

Thanks Ilanthar.

I didn't have time to render anything this time around.

-------------------------------------------

As for the contest, not sure what is up with this month but honestly a race of one is really boring. I hope other people join soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast