Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge: Fortress of Sunken Tears

Default Nov/Dec '18 Lite Challenge: Fortress of Sunken Tears

Hi folks,

I thought I'd have a go at one of them there challenges. I've wanted to try creating an isometric style map for a while, so I thought a forum challenge was just the thing to get me motivated. My only concern at the moment is, I'm not sure if this classes as a map or just an illustration

Not much to see at the moment, just roughing in shapes and building placement.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG_nov-dec18-Ruined Fortress-iso-wip01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	111738  

I'm pretty sure it counts as a map - and it's looking real nice for a sketch! Very eager to see more!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I love it already! I always say that there is no such thing as to stigmatize maps. The idea of a map is to show a location, whether it contains roads, legends, landmarks or not! FREE THE MAPS! Can't wait to see more of this!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Welcome to the Challenge, PaperGriffin! Great start! You are good to go. Lots of people do these types of "maps" in fact a similar type of map won the regular monthly challenge last month. And even when the entry is borderline at following the guidelines for a challenge, it is usually resolved with "The voters will decide!"
    Looking forward to seeing this develop.

For me, a map is an illustration displaying an information.
    If you're worry, just adding a compass, a couple of labels or even just a title change an illustration into a map in my opinion, but you're showing such a great start I can't imagine anyone telling you're wrong in any way here !

Thanks for the encouragement folks

I think my concern over the map/illustration issue is mostly due to so much of this map being hidden, but I guess there is nothing wrong with leaving somethings to the viewers imagination.

I managed to do a little more on it this morning. Incidentally, is there a recommended file size for wips or any general rules for uploading images to the site? I'm deliberately keeping the wips small (because, well they're only wips), but the actual file is much larger.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG_nov-dec18-Ruined Fortress-iso-wip02.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	111746

Here are the upload size limits:

Name:	CG Upload file_sizes.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	111777

Thanks Bogie.
    Wow, those are pretty generous upload sizes! I'm used to being told to keep files below 1mb and 1000 pixels. Guess I don't need to keep down-sampling my files before posting

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    Thanks Bogie.
    Wow, those are pretty generous upload sizes! I'm used to being told to keep files below 1mb and 1000 pixels. Guess I don't need to keep down-sampling my files before posting
    We are Hi-Res junkies here!

A little more on this. I thought the windows were too big, making the buildings feel like a mansion or large house rather than a fortress, so I've reduced them slightly. Still down-sampling the file; old habits die hard

Name:	CG_nov-dec18-Ruined Fortress-iso-wip03.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	111826

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast