Thread: My first maps

Map My first maps

Hello everyone!

I've started making maps just a vew days ago, but I think I am quite good in it. Of course I'm not the best, but I want to share my first two maps with you and would like it if you could give me some tips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaart 14-04-2019.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	5.98 MB 
ID:	114910

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omradet 15-04-2019.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	6.84 MB 
ID:	114911

The island without name is my first map and Omradet is my second. I hope you like it and as I said, I hope I get tips. Thank you!

Great start! The colors are very cool and you definitely have a good sense of style. Omradet is a particularly strong beginning. Your forests looks great!

I do see some river problems (don't sweat it too much; rivers are notoriously pesky when you're just starting out but here is a really handy guide put together by Guildmembers that is an invaluable resource about the "rules" of rivers. One that stands out to me in particular is the northernmost river on the larger continent; it seems odd that it would flow all the way around the mountains and inland to the lake, instead of to the sea which is so very close to the headwaters (rivers always flow downhill, mountains to sea, never uphill).

One other tip I have is that when you are hand-drawing and lettering, it helps to plan beforehand, maybe do it in pencil before inking, so that you don't end up having to write your labels over the art, which makes some of them hard to read. Leaving a bit of blank space around the letters will help make those more legible.

Yes, a very fine beginning indeed. Welcome to the Guild Ondohir. Work on those river issues LizardInk mentioned, keep practicing your craft and your maps will only get better and better.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh