Thread: Achatina Titanicus, the Wandering City

Map Achatina Titanicus, the Wandering City

Hi Everyone

This is the latest project that I've been working on, the work in progress thread can be viewed here.

A commission request that I saw a while ago got me thinking about cities on the backs of large creatures. Over time I started to build up a wider and more complex world around this original concept. This map depicts a small city on the back of a giant land snail. The world I envisaged contains several large planes where different types of these creatures roam. The world itself is largely too dangerous for the humanoid races to settle fixed cities due to other large creatures that roam the world so the humanoids turned to the snails and the two species now rely on each other for survival. The land snails roam the planes and foothills providing the humanoids with fresh lands for foraging. The humanoids help keep the snails clean and parasite free and also provide additional force to help fight off hostile creatures.

The map is done using all physical materials as outlined below
    - A4, 200gsm watercolour paper
    - Dip pen with black Windsor & newton calligraphy ink
    - Pebeo studio watercolour paints

As always prints and products based on this print can be found on my store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Achatina_titanicus_lowres.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	632.5 KB 
ID:	130441
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

As mentioned in the WIP, really neat and well depicted map. I think more slime is needed for future snails though!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    As mentioned in the WIP, really neat and well depicted map. I think more slime is needed for future snails though!
    Thanks Arimel. I will definitely have a go at some slime next time, I thought about it for this project but I couldn't really decide how to depict it so just left it this time.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is so d@mn cool! I wonder what it smells like living there haha...

Super nice work! I really like this style of yours.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"