Thread: World map with lone city

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Map World map with lone city

Been practising world maps lately, drawing and colouring. A friend wanted a world map of a continent filled with rather harsh landscape... Haunted forests, swamps, ice, desert and all that with a single city in the centre.

Drawn out with Pen and paper first and then coloured with gimp. The colours turned out pretty good I think except I'm not sure about the ocean and how I want to do it. Faded it out before edges but maybe fading to black would be better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171217_175041.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	102321

And with the colours dulled
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEG_20171218_112819.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	691.8 KB 
ID:	102322

Still really experimenting to find a style that's me and goes with the drawn style and don't think I've exactly found it yet so thought, comments and critiques appreciated
    Last edited by Eri; 12-17-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice one. I like the brighter colors version better; it's a little easier to tell what's going on, but both are great.

That is very good, especially for a first map.

Very nice map! I think I prefer the second version.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Nice job on this style. I prefer the more muted colours of the second version I think.

With the first, it might be worth playing around quickly on GIMP with the scanned version to clean up some of the extra bits scanners/putting on high contrast can add. As when zoomed in there are quite a few small dots around the linework that bulks it up a fair bit and makes it look less neat. On PS, I try to select everything that is white, or near white and just plain delete it outright, then I boost the contrast a bit, and also play with the levels. I sometimes mix up the order of all of that or repeat bits depending on how it's looking. Have a play, and I'm sure you'll find something that works.

Very nice map. I like the muted one a lot.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Nice job on this style. I prefer the more muted colours of the second version I think.

With the first, it might be worth playing around quickly on GIMP with the scanned version to clean up some of the extra bits scanners/putting on high contrast can add. As when zoomed in there are quite a few small dots around the linework that bulks it up a fair bit and makes it look less neat. On PS, I try to select everything that is white, or near white and just plain delete it outright, then I boost the contrast a bit, and also play with the levels. I sometimes mix up the order of all of that or repeat bits depending on how it's looking. Have a play, and I'm sure you'll find something that works.
    Ahh contrast yes, I was players NG around with scanning and just getting the lines and that's definitely the missing step. Awesome.

And thanks everyone for the kind words.. I kinda like both for different reasons which is why I did them too haha. Couldn't decide.

Nice maps and a cool concept. I'm torn between the two versions. I like them both equally.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"